XML DTD or schema for representing entities and relationships (SQL)?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Simon Brooke, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    One of the things I do is build applications which are supposed to be
    database neutral; but all the different database engines have slight
    variations in the SQL they understand. Consequently I've been using
    increasingly complicated macro preprocessors to render my orignal SQL
    source into the particular dialect of the particular database engine
    I'm trying to address, and the point has arrived where I have to face
    up to the fact that this is just the wrong approach. If you're
    interested the current version is here:
    but I'd be the first to tell you that it isn't much good.

    It seems to me that a better approach would be to have a totally un
    SQL-like XML dialect which represents entities, fields and
    relationships at an abstract level, and then to use different XSL-T
    templates to transform the abstract representation into the particular
    SQL for particular database engines. It also seems to me that this
    approach is fairly obvious and that someone else must have done it
    already...

    Does anyone know of a suitable DTD or schema I could use? I'd hate to
    reinvent the wheel.

    See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.
    Simon Brooke, Oct 12, 2003