    suerly I'm missing something.

    Thanks,
    Anupam.
    Anupam, May 18, 2007

  2. Anupam escribió:
    > Hello,
    > I have an XML schema that I would like my users to use. However, I do not
    > want them to use XML tags in an XML editor or a plain text editor to create
    > the file.
    > Is there some commercial/open source editor that gives the ability to the
    > users to create XML document without tags, but with GUI elements based on
    > the schema? I'm not sure why I didn't find anything like that in my search,
    > suerly I'm missing something.

    XXE - XMLmind XML Editor

    http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

    For a custom XML schema, you just must provide an appropriate CSS.

    Regards.
    --
    Manuel Collado - http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado
    Manuel Collado, May 18, 2007

  3. Anupam

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Anupam wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have an XML schema that I would like my users to use. However, I do not
    > want them to use XML tags in an XML editor or a plain text editor to create
    > the file.
    > Is there some commercial/open source editor that gives the ability to the
    > users to create XML document without tags, but with GUI elements based on
    > the schema? I'm not sure why I didn't find anything like that in my search,
    > suerly I'm missing something.

    All the big XML editors have a near-WYSIWYG mode for authoring. However,
    you need to do some careful design in your Schema/DTD to make sure that
    things occur in an expected manner so that the users don't get confused
    by ambiguity.

    My research into editing interfaces for document applications indicates
    that there really are *no* editors available that you can hand to a
    non-XML person and say "right, go ahead and create a document" unaided
    and untrained. They are currently all aimed at document creation by
    people who have a fairly full understanding of structure, markup,
    containment, and nesting.

    I would welcome the opportunity to meet any manufacturer who would like
    to prove me wrong on this.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, May 18, 2007
  4. Anupam wrote:
    > Is there some commercial/open source editor that gives the ability to the
    > users to create XML document without tags, but with GUI elements based on
    > the schema?

    The problem is, which GUI elements are appropriate varies depending on
    the semantics of the document... and schemas don't give you much
    semantic information to base that on. Usually the best solution is real
    application code that understands the meaning of your data structures
    and interacts with the user to capture/edit them, and which translates
    those structures to/from their XML representation.

    But if you really need to use the schema and only the schema... a web
    search for "schema-directed editor" should find a number of tools which
    attempt to do this, either freebies (often student projects) or
    commercial products. I don't use any of them so I can't advise you on
    which are worth using.

    Joe Kesselman, May 19, 2007
  5. Anupam

    Anupam Guest

    Thank you to all who responded, I'm surprised that there isn't a flood of
    tools in this area.
    I think the XMLMind editor would suffice for what I need.

    If anyone can point me to how to go about building a Schema-aware tool for
    XML authoring without XML tags, I would be very grateful.

    Thanks,
    Anupam.

    Anupam, May 19, 2007
  6. Anupam wrote:
    > If anyone can point me to how to go about building a Schema-aware tool for
    > XML authoring without XML tags

    If you have to ask, I really don't think you want to tackle it.

    Joe Kesselman, May 19, 2007
  7. Anupam

    Anupam Guest

    I would take up the challenge :) I don't think it should be that difficult.
    I don't need to solve the general problem for all schemas, just my own
    schema. I would go ahead and take a serious look at the XMLMind but if its
    too rescrictive and I deem it unusable by my users, I may have no choice but
    to write my own. I'm thinking I would need to start with Java/Swing unless
    someone can point me to a better/shotter path.

    Thanks,
    Anupam.

    Anupam, May 19, 2007
  8. Anupam

    Pavel Lepin Guest

    Anupam <> wrote in
    <5Ft3i.80$ky6.78@trnddc02>:
    > "Joe Kesselman" <> wrote in
    > message
    >> Anupam wrote:
    >>> If anyone can point me to how to go about building a
    >>> Schema-aware tool for XML authoring without XML tags

    Have you considered taking a look at XForms? Its express
    purpose is binding of UI elements to XML data.

    >> If you have to ask, I really don't think you want to
    >> tackle it.

    > I would take up the challenge :) I don't think it should
    > be that difficult.

    Tsk tsk. The famous last words...

    > I don't need to solve the general problem for all schemas,
    > just my own schema.

    ....on the other hand, yeah, *that* shouldn't be too
    difficult unless the schema in question is particularly
    vile.

    --
    Pavel Lepin
    Pavel Lepin, May 21, 2007