XML Resume Help

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ian DeRock, Oct 18, 2004.

  1. Ian DeRock

    Ian DeRock Guest

    I'm fairly new to XML. As I can see it, XML is a way to organize data
    like in a table in a RDB, or the RDB itself. I have used XML in
    application data, but did not design the actual XML.

    I have a background in both hardware and software. I want to create
    an application that will regenerate a resume from the XML Resume that
    I have. I would like some people to look over my XML Resume data and
    give me suggestions on the XML. This resume is still not complete,
    and I have removed some of that data between tags.

    I would also like to know if maybe I sould make two XML docs, one for
    the skills, and one for the experience seciont.

    Let me know what you think,
    Ian DeRock

    XML Resume

    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <RESUME xmlns="./Resume.xsd">
    <ADDRESS>
    <NAME>Ian DeRock</NAME>
    <STREET></STREET>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <ZIP></ZIP>
    <EMAIL></EMAIL>
    </ADDRESS>
    <INFO>
    <BLURB>
    <DESC>Professional experience in Programming, Systems
    Administration and PC support within UNIX and Windows 3.x, 9.x, NT
    Server/Workstation, and Windows 2000 Server/Professional
    environments.</DESC>
    <EDUCATION>
    <DEGREE type="BA" who="Fort Lewis College">Computer Science
    Student</DEGREE>
    <DEGREE type="BA" who="Fort Lewis College">Computer Science
    Information Systems student</DEGREE>
    <DEGREE type="Other" who="MIT OpenView Courses">Games Theory</DEGREE>
    </EDUCATION>
    </BLURB>
    <SKILLS>
    <SKILL type="OFFICE">Typing</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OFFICE">Filing</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OFFICE">Scheduling</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OFFICE">Multitask</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Office 95/97/2000/XP (Word, Excel, Front
    Page, Access, Power Point)</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Koffice</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Internet Explorer</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Netscape</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Mozilla</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Konqueror</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">Dream Weaver</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="APPLICATION">CITRIX</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OS">Windows 3.11</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OS">Windows 95</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OS">Windows 98</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OS">Windows 2000 (Professional/Server)</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OS">UNIX (Solaris)</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="OS">Linux (Red hat, BSD)</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">C</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">Object Oriented C++</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">Java (client and server side)</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">C#</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">Visual Basic</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">VBA</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">HTML</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">SQL</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">Algorithm Analysis</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="LANG">Program Analysis</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="EDU">FORTRAN 95</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="EDU">Adam</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="EDU">Cobol</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="EDU">Pascal</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="EDU">Python</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="DB">Oracle 8i</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="DB">Oracle 9i</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="DB">SQLServer 2000</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="DB">Access</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="DB">Fox Pro</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="NETWORK">Either Net</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="NETWORK">Gigabit</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="NETWORK">802.11b and .11G (wireless)</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="SUPPORT">Tier 2 support</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="SUPPORT">Automated Backups</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="SUPPORT">Build/Rebuild/Maintain PS's</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="SUPPORT">working knowledge of Tier 1 support</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="MANAGEMENT">Supervised 16 people</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="MANAGEMENT">Skilled with difficult individuals</SKILL>
    <SKILL type="MANAGEMENT">Lead and Participated in team
    projects.</SKILL>
    </SKILLS>
    <EXPERIENCE>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Temporary Help</TITLE>
    <LOCATION type="contract"></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>August 2003 - December 2003</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="OS">Keep computer systems up to date</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OS">Installed anti-virus on all systems, automated
    update.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="APPLICATION">Developed access database for </DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Billed Medicare as Needed</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Clerk</TITLE>
    <LOCATION type="contract"></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>August 2003 - December 2003</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Scheduled appointment for veterans.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Answered phones</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Scheduled appointment for veterans.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Called patients to schedule
    appointments.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Helped increase patients from 500+ to almost
    1000</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>On Call/Temp Clerk</TITLE>
    <LOCATION type="contract"></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>January 2004 - Aprial 2004</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Scheduled appointment for veterans.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Answered phones</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Scheduled appointment for veterans.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Called patients to schedule
    appointments.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Helped increase patients from 500+ to almost
    1000</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Systems Administrator</TITLE>
    <LOCATION type="volunteer"></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>June 2003 - April 2004</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="NETWORK">Created 802.11b wireless network.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Created weekly automated backup for critical
    files.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="APPLICATION">Trained users in Word, Access and
    Excel.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Built calendar program in JAVA to transform
    calendar to HTML files.</DUTY>
    <DUTY TYPE="SUPPORT">Set up domain and email for all
    employees.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Technology Technician</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>November 2002 - August 2003</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="DB">Made database for tracking volunteer time and
    donated assets.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OS">Trained users in HTML</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Trained users in SQL</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="APPLICATION">Trained users in and Microsoft Office
    Suite.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Created web interface between database and
    Internet.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>eXtream Programming Intern</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>May 2002 - September 2002</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="DB">Created an access Database for tracking FDA
    requirements.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Created a web interface to access the FDA
    database.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Design a program-using VBA and SQL to connect
    to an Oracle Database, which tracked what files and versions a client
    has, so that we can compute what patches the client needs.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Operation Noble-Eagle</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>September 2001 - March 2002</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="OS">Built and Maintained Windows 2000 IIS servers for
    secure web interaction.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OTHER">Physical Uniformed Presence in Airports to
    reassure traveling public.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Limited Licenses Employee</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>April 2001- August 2001</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="DB">Locate and merge duplicate records on an Informix
    Database, using CORIS (Colorado Recreational Information
    System.)</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OFFICE">Phone support for Limited Licenses
    Department.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OS">Basic setup of users desktop.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Systems Administrator</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>May 2000 - January 2001</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="OS">Tested and Upgraded NT systems to Windows
    2000.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OS">Maintain 98% server and workstation
    uptime.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="DB">Created Access and Oracle databases for internal
    audit.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Created Oracle Forms to access Oracle
    database.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Tier 2 PC support.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Upgrade and install PC hardware and
    software.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Troubleshoot and correct trouble tickets for
    150-user Windows NT LAN.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Supported over 300 software
    applications.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="LANG">Write batch files to automate installation of
    some programs.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Built and ghosted over fourth new
    workstations.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OS">Migrated computers from Windows NT to Windows
    2000.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="APPLICATION">Researched and implemented CITRIX Server
    to allow unfiltered access to the Internet without compromising local
    security.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Technician</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>May 1999 - August 1999</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Tier 1 and 2 PC support.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="NETWORK">Troubleshoot TCP/IP Cat5 LAN
    problems.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="DB">Created Microsoft Access database application to
    track personnel records of guard members.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>PC technician</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>March 1998 - August 1998</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="SUPPORT">Upgrade/installed new hardware in
    computers.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="APPLICATION">Upgrade/installed software in
    computers.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OTHER">Managed IRQ settings for non plug-n-play
    devices.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    <JOB>
    <TITLE>Information System Security Manage</TITLE>
    <LOCATION></LOCATION>
    <CITY></CITY>
    <STATE></STATE>
    <DATES>March 1994 - March 1998</DATES>
    <DUTIES>
    <DUTY type="OS">LAN Administrator for 250-user Win 3.11,95,
    Novell, UNIX LAN</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="OS">System Administrator for a UNIX based Program,
    Add/Delete/Modify accounts</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="APPLICATION">Trained and tracked training for over
    250 people.</DUTY>
    <DUTY type="MANAGEMENT">Supervised a work center of seven
    people.</DUTY>
    </DUTIES>
    </JOB>
    </EXPERIENCE>
    </INFO>
    </RESUME>

    Ian DeRock, Oct 18, 2004

  2. Ian DeRock

    Joris Gillis Guest

    > I'm fairly new to XML. As I can see it, XML is a way to organize data
    > like in a table in a RDB, or the RDB itself. I have used XML in
    > application data, but did not design the actual XML.
    >
    > Let me know what you think,
    > Ian DeRock

    Hi,

    First of all, note that everyone replying to your mail will most likely
    have different opinions.

    The XML structure looks excellent to me, execpt for these 2 details:

    -The 'DATES' element is good for humans to read, but it will be harder
    than necessary for a computer to parse out the actuel dates. I would
    redesign that element: e.g. a 'start' and 'end' child element with
    attributes 'year' and 'month'
    - I would write all element names in lowercase

    I noticed this line: <DUTY TYPE="SUPPORT">Set up domain and email for all
    employees.</DUTY>
    All other 'type' attributes are written in lowercase.

    Another topic: maybe you could specify (e.g. with 'id' attribute and
    xlink) in which job you acquired which skills.

    > I would also like to know if maybe I sould make two XML docs, one for
    > the skills, and one for the experience seciont.

    I wouldn't split the data into 2 files.

    regards,

    Ceterum censeo XML omnibus esse utendum

    Joris Gillis, Oct 18, 2004

  3. Ian DeRock

    Ken Starks Guest

    Ian DeRock wrote:

    > I'm fairly new to XML. As I can see it, XML is a way to organize data
    > like in a table in a RDB, or the RDB itself. I have used XML in
    > application data, but did not design the actual XML.

    .... snip ...
    > I would also like to know if maybe I sould make two XML docs, one for
    > the skills, and one for the experience seciont.
    >
    > Let me know what you think,
    > Ian DeRock

    Yes, XML is a way of organising data like a table in a relational
    database, but that does not mean you have to abandon the RDB
    way of working willy-nilly. You obviously have skill in many
    commercial database systems, so why waste it?

    I am also relatively new to XML, and it all came together for
    me when I downloaded 'Cocoon' and got it working. Before that,
    there seemed to be so many things that could go wrong. With
    Cocoon, you get a complete working system and you can change
    things one little bit at a time.

    You can, if you wish, use your XML as a data-source.

    Alternatively, you could keep your
    personal details, your skills and your experience in the
    RDB with all the dicipline of 'Normalisation' Etc that
    a database can enforce.
    Then, it is a (relatively) simple matter to have the XML
    created for you. For example ESQL (which is part of the
    Cocoon project) will generate XML ( with a very similar
    structure to yours) from a SQL query. This can be done
    on-the-fly, keeping up with new data in the Database as
    soon as you enter it.

    You can then put all your effort into learning how to
    write XSL-T stylesheets, which is likely to be where
    you spend most of your time. Getting at least two
    totally different forms of output (say XHTML and PDF)
    from the same source will give you a buzz, I'm sure.
    That done (and it may take some time) you need to
    learn the xml variation that a typesetting,
    word-processing or desktop-publishing package understands.
    Don't assume that this will be trivial, particularly
    for not very well documented Open-Source, unless you are
    happy with the look of an off-the-shelf transformation
    (of DocBook, for example).

    ESQL works as follows:
    1. Define a data-source and SQL query
    2. Assemble the result (if any) it into XML format
    with whatever else you like.
    You can select iterate through rows, select columns, insert
    things on watched values (a 'group by' utility), limit the
    number of rows returned, Etc. Its pretty comprehensive.

    Some of the facilities will produce 'better' XML than yours;
    for example

    <esql:get-timestamp column=1 format="dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss"/>

    is something you might like to modify for the start and end
    dates of your work placements. Its got to beat typing it out
    by hand.

    Good Luck!

    ---
    Ken