    Java virtual machine. I am not too keen on Java.

    Thanks everyone.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Apr 20, 2004

  2. The Doormouse

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Xns94D0E1F4BE4E8doormouseattnet@68.12.19.6>
    The Doormouse <> said:

    > I am looking for an XML editor, an XSLT editor and a DTD editor.

    that would be any text editor. if you want syntax highlighting use an
    editor that has language syntax files available.

    heres are some specifically for xml

    cooktop: http://www.xmlcooktop.com/ [free]
    xray: http://www.architag.com/xray/ [free]
    peters xml eiditor: http://www.iol.ie/~pxe/ [free]
    xmlspy: http://www.xmlspy.com/products_ide.html [$400]
    turboxml: http://www.tibco.com/solutions/products/extensibility/turbo_xml.jsp [$270]

    > What setups do people recommend on my platform (WinXP)?

    i use http://www.editplus.com/ but only because its preview button
    integrates with a local server otherwise i'm happy with any text editor
    that has syntax highlighting

    --
    b r u c i e

    brucie, Apr 20, 2004

  3. Thank you, brucie!

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Am Tue, 20 Apr 2004 05:12:28 +0000 schrieb The Doormouse:

    > I am looking for an XML editor, an XSLT editor and a DTD editor. What
    > setups do people recommend on my platform (WinXP)?

    I personally use jEdit (http://www.jedit.org). It features: syntax
    highlighting, can parse against a DTD to validate and for automatic tag
    completion and context sensitive suggestion of Tags, Attributes and
    Entities, structure view of the nesting of XML Elements, ... It also
    supports writing XSLT stylesheets and DTDs and comes with an XSLT
    processor (Xalan, http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/index.html) available as
    an easy to install plugin. It requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE,
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp). Best of all, it is free!

    > My goal is learning XML for XHTML output.
    >
    > I read a book

    You may want to look at: Elliotte Rusty Harold ,Chapter 17 of the XML
    Bible, Second Edition : XSL Transformations
    (http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch17.html).

    > that recommended XML Notepad, which - oddly - is no longer being
    > distributed by mickeysoft. Another book recommended SAXON, which uses
    > Java virtual machine. I am not too keen on Java.

    Java is really the way, because so many XML Tools are implemented in Java,
    due to the fact that Java has such a good XML API. Saxon is not an Editor,
    but an XSLT Processor. That said, it is very good and is also available as
    "instant Saxon" for Microsofts broken Java 1.1 Virtual Machine. Of course
    you can run Full Saxon with a more recent and less buggy Java
    implementation (s. above). There are alternatives
    however, Sablotron (http://www.gingerall.com/charlie/ga/xml/p_sab.xml)
    makes a nice and fast XSLT Processor written in C++.

    Kind regards
    David

    David Christopher Weichert, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Thank you!

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Apr 20, 2004