    case of an errors in parsing. There are similar efforts (closest being
    ppml), but none of them aims to directly substitute PostScript.

    All opinions would be appreciated.

    Yash Sharma, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Yash Sharma

    Ed Beroset Guest

    Yash Sharma wrote:
    > I am planning to propose an XML vocabulary at a consortium. It is
    > aimed to substitute PostScript as a printing standard.

    [...]
    > All opinions would be appreciated.

    Not an opinion, really, but a question. What problem is there with
    PostScript that this approach is intended to solve?

    Ed

    Ed Beroset, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Have you looked into the print initiatives of the SVG working group at
    the W3C?
    http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGPrint/

    My company by the way makes software that batch converts PostScript
    (and PDF) to XML-standard SVG. Vector graphics, raster images and font
    text strings are all supported and preserved as such.

    Jeroen Dekker
    --
    Square One - The Graphics Connection
    Visit http://www.square1.nl/index.htm

    Jeroen Dekker, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Yash Sharma

    Pierre Guest

    (Yash Sharma) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I am planning to propose an XML vocabulary at a consortium. It is
    > aimed to substitute PostScript as a printing standard.
    > All opinions would be appreciated.

    This already exists as 'SVG':
    see http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

    Pierre, Jan 2, 2004
  5. > This already exists as 'SVG':
    > see http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/

    While the SVG imaging model is largely based on that of PostScript,
    the regular SVG standard misses a number of print concepts to make it
    a 1:1 XML substitution for PostScript (for sending documents to a
    printer). That is why there's a SVG Print project in the works - see
    my earlier post.

    Display-wise, yes: pretty much anything you can display as PostScript,
    you can also display as SVG. Vector graphics, raster images, font text
    strings. That is what our customers use our ps2vector software for.

    Jeroen Dekker

    Jeroen Dekker, Jan 4, 2004