    DO you know any free/shareware tools which could convert documents from
    Microsoft Excel (xsl) to xml ?

    Thanx

    vertigo, Aug 19, 2006

  2. vertigo

    Soren Kuula Guest

    vertigo wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > DO you know any free/shareware tools which could convert documents from
    > Microsoft Excel (xsl) to xml ?
    >
    > Thanx

    I think you can use OpenOffice: Load the xls (xsl, you write???), and
    save in the OpenOffice format. Then, unzip the saved file.

    You will be able to do the same with Office 2007.

    Soren

    Soren Kuula, Aug 20, 2006

  3. vertigo wrote:
    > DO you know any free/shareware tools which could convert documents from
    > Microsoft Excel (xsl) to xml ?

    Export in CSV format, then figure out how you want to convert the
    columns to your XML markup.

    (There are tools which will do a "dumb" CSV to XML conversion, but that
    doesn't get you much closer to having Actually Useful XML.)

    Joe Kesselman, Aug 20, 2006
  4. >> DO you know any free/shareware tools which could convert documents
    >> from Microsoft Excel (xsl) to xml ?

    The real problem is that that's a bad question. XML is a framework for
    writing markup languages. There are many XML-based markups, for many
    different purposes.

    Start by figuring out what kinds of data you are trying to convert into
    what kinds of XML. That's what drives everything else. (For example, do
    you really need the full spreadsheet, including all its logic -- or just
    one fixed table?)

    Joe Kesselman, Aug 21, 2006