XSL-FO table problem

Discussion in 'XML' started by Kleist, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. Kleist

    Kleist Guest

    Hi!

    The XML document is created dynamically. I need to convert
    it in PDF format. Actually, this is a huge table with data.
    I don`t know in advance, how much columns it will have. I
    apply XSL-FO style-sheet. And use table-layout=auto property
    of the table. But the problem is that is seems to me that
    table is created with the same column width taken to fill
    the table like ( column-width = table-width / col.number).
    And contents of some cells overflow cell borders.
    keep-together.within-column doesn`t help. So my question is,
    how I need to prepare my style-sheet to handle automatic
    column width like it is in HTML. The table width is set on
    100%. I don`t know a'priori how much columns will be. And
    how to configure hyphenation. The language is German and
    with short words hyphenation does well but with long names
    and long e-mail addresses it has a really big problem. Hence
    a lot of cells are overflowed.
    Transformation is performed by FOP. I've googled a lot
    and noticed that FOP doesn`t support table-layout=auto. But
    in my case there were no errors in the log.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Kleist, Sep 9, 2005

  2. Kleist

    Guest

    Hi Kliest,

    i too have the exact same problem. First off it is purely as a result
    of FOP (and in my case Chive Apoc) not supporting "table-layout=auto".
    This problem you are having is quite common and is address on a lot of
    forums. The usual approach is to insert zero-width spaces or
    non-breaking spaces (‚Äč) in long strings of data. The processor
    should break the string when a cell boundary is approached and
    otherwise ignore the zero-width spaces. I have however found that with
    Apoc the space is actually rendered!

    For further info on using zero-width spaces for this problem see the
    following :
    http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/200201/msg00928.html

    Hope this helps in some way!

    Regards,