You don't wanna be known as a loser, do ya?

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Does anybody within the sound of my keys have a graphical browser that
renders this page *without* various parts being superimposed over the
top of others?

Only if I make the text microscopic.
Is this another IE-only page?

Considering it is just text, it'd have to be intentional. Surely?

rf

Blinky the Shark
Does anybody within the sound of my keys have a graphical browser that
renders this page *without* various parts being superimposed over the
top of others? Is this another IE-only page?

http://www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/index.html

I tried: Firefox, Mozilla, Konqueror; Linux.

No, it's not IE only.

They try though. Most of the text is in a very small number of pixels so IE
out of the box does not display that over the top of other things. However
<grin/> *some* of the page is not. It resizes. All over the top of the other
stuff.

I would think this site should be not just IE only but local file system
only.

Toby Inkster

Blinky said:
Does anybody within the sound of my keys have a graphical browser that
renders this page *without* various parts being superimposed over the
top of others?

Works fine in Dillo/0.8.0 Linux.

Blinky the Shark

jake said:
rf said:
Neal wrote:
Use < and >, not [ and ]. <> makes the URL clickable in a newsreader. []
does not, it makes it into plain text.
[] -- Works just fine in my reader.

Okay here, too, in slrn, Pan and Knode (all Linux). They pick up on the
form html://foo , and enclosing it in anything isn't required. Xnews is
the same, in the Windows World. That aside, though, I think the
convention on which /some/ news clients depend is angle brackets.

Philip Ronan

Blinky said:
jake said:
rf said:
Neal wrote:
[http://www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/howtogetawebsite.html]
Use < and >, not [ and ]. <> makes the URL clickable in a newsreader. []
does not, it makes it into plain text.
[] -- Works just fine in my reader.

Okay here, too, in slrn, Pan and Knode (all Linux). They pick up on the
form html://foo , and enclosing it in anything isn't required. Xnews is
the same, in the Windows World. That aside, though, I think the
convention on which /some/ news clients depend is angle brackets.

Angle brackets are better. Strictly speaking the characters "URL:" should
also be inserted, but most software seems to manage without it. See RFC
1738:

Liz

In message <[email protected]>
Blinky the Shark said:
jake said:
rf said:
Neal wrote:
[http://www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/howtogetawebsite.html]
Use < and >, not [ and ]. <> makes the URL clickable in a newsreader. []
does not, it makes it into plain text.
[] -- Works just fine in my reader.

Okay here, too, in slrn, Pan and Knode (all Linux).

And on MessengerPro/RiscOS, so presumably also in Gemini (the Windows port
of MPro).

Liz

Toby Inkster

Philip said:
Angle brackets are better. Strictly speaking the characters "URL:" should
also be inserted, but most software seems to manage without it.

Opera M2 likes <URL:http://example.org/> or <http://example.org/>. If you
represent a URL like that, it will happily make it clickable, even if it
line wraps. If you leave out the angled brackets, then you have to make
sure the entire URL is on one line and is surrounded by some white space.

Leonard Blaisdell

Blinky the said:
That aside, though, I think the
convention on which /some/ news clients depend is angle brackets.

One of those is Newswatcher for the Mac. Ancient but wonderful. I've
always used angle brackets.

leo

Starshine Moonbeam

Blinky the said:
jake said:
rf said:
Neal wrote:
[http://www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/howtogetawebsite.html]
Use < and >, not [ and ]. <> makes the URL clickable in a newsreader. []
does not, it makes it into plain text.
[] -- Works just fine in my reader.

Okay here, too, in slrn, Pan and Knode (all Linux). They pick up on the
form html://foo , and enclosing it in anything isn't required. Xnews is
the same, in the Windows World. That aside, though, I think the
convention on which /some/ news clients depend is angle brackets.

Works on my Gravity.