    and can't find any information on the developers' plans. Does anyone
    have any information that might help?

    - Andrew

    Andrew McLean, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Andrew McLean

    Robert Kern Guest

    Andrew McLean wrote:
    > I'm going to have to delay upgrading to Python 2.5 until all the
    > libraries I use support it. One key library for me is ZODB. I've Googled
    > and can't find any information on the developers' plans. Does anyone
    > have any information that might help?

    Since the Python development team tries hard to maintain backwards
    compatibility, the vast majority of Python packages will automatically support
    the newest release of Python in that they will work just dandy. Developers don't
    really have plans to do that kind of support since it just happens.

    If you mean something else by "support" (like making use of new language or
    standard library features), then what do you mean?

    I would suggest, in order:

    1) Look on the relevant mailing list for people talking about using ZODB with
    Python 2.5.

    2) Just try it. Install Python 2.5 alongside 2.4, install ZODB, run the test suite.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Robert Kern wrote:
    > I would suggest, in order:
    >
    > 1) Look on the relevant mailing list for people talking about using ZODB
    > with Python 2.5.

    Been there, didn't find anything. Except that recently released versions
    of Zope (2.9.5 and 2.10.0) aren't compatible with Python 2.5. [Being
    pedantic 2.9.5 "doesn't work" under Python 2.5, 2.10.0 is merely
    "unsupported".]

    > 2) Just try it. Install Python 2.5 alongside 2.4, install ZODB, run the
    > test suite.

    Now if ZODB had been pure Python, or I was using a Unix(ish) platform I
    would have tried that. Getting set up to compile C extensions under
    Windows is a bit too much hassle. I can wait ;-).

    Andrew McLean, Oct 21, 2006