3-dimensional plot in Python?

questions?

I want to make a 3d plot. x is a vector(discrete), y is also a
vector(discrete), for each pairwise x,y I have a value z(x,y)(it is not
a function, just discrete values for each pair of x,y)

I want to show them on a two dimensional plot by showing z(x,y) with
colors.

Thanks for any hint

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

questions? said:
I want to make a 3d plot. x is a vector(discrete), y is also a
vector(discrete), for each pairwise x,y I have a value z(x,y)(it is not
a function, just discrete values for each pair of x,y)

I want to show them on a two dimensional plot by showing z(x,y) with
colors.

Thanks for any hint

SciPy is your friend: Provides interfaces to several plot engines, including
gnuplot.

Robert Kern

Frithiof said:
SciPy is your friend: Provides interfaces to several plot engines, including
gnuplot.

Those interfaces are long since deprecated. Please use matplotlib instead.

http://matplotlib.sf.net

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Lonnie Princehouse

Google for "MayaVi"

It's overkill for what you've described (it doesn't even make 2D graphs
afaik), but it could draw your function as a 3D surface. And besides,
it's way cool.

Robert Kern

Frithiof said:
"Long since" being .... When?

I recently installed SciPy and it did not say anything about "deprecated"!

Only xplt ever got much developer TLC. For the past year or two,
whenever someone comes to the mailing list asking about some problem
with {x,g,wx}plt, we've been referring them to matplotlib. During the
transition to the new scipy_core, all of them have been moved to the
sandbox/ directory and won't be returning. If you're using xplt, some
people mentioned that they might be interested in maintaining it, but it
will have to be forked off into it's own project.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois?= Pinard

[Frithiof Andreas Jensen]
[[email protected]]
I want to make a 3d plot. x is a vector(discrete), y is also
a vector(discrete), for each pairwise x,y I have a value z(x,y)(it is
not a function, just discrete values for each pair of x,y). I want
to show them on a two dimensional plot by showing z(x,y) with colors.
SciPy is your friend: Provides interfaces to several plot engines, including
gnuplot.

For such things, I like R (from http://www.r-project.org), for which
also exist a few Python interfaces (I use http://rpy.sourceforge.net).
For communication between Python and R, Python Numeric facilities are
usable, yet not required. Moreover, with 3D-accelerated cards or
simulations thereof, OpenGL tools (see http://rgl.neoscientists.org)
allow you to interactively wander into your plot, somehow.

The combination is worth. What may appear as a drawback is the need to
become acquainted with R, the system and the language. But if you
happen to do scientific works, this really is a worth investment.