360° Javascript image panning

Tuxedo

Has anyone seen a 360° panorama javascript image display anywhere?

Assuming a photograph is used which is perfectly stitched together - such
as for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20031207_rainycourtyard.jpg - I'm
searching for a JS/CSS type of solution including the possible to smoothly
pan left or right, autoplay and pause, while showing only a narrower
rectangular "normal size" image segment at any one time. Panning, auto pan
and pause may be done with control buttons below the image for example.

Doc O'Leary

Tuxedo said:
Has anyone seen a 360° panorama javascript image display anywhere?

I haven't seen anything, but in hacking up a demo my guess is that the
main reason you don't see it done much is because a simple pan doesn't
do any correction for perspective.

Tuxedo

Doc said:
I haven't seen anything, but in hacking up a demo my guess is that the
main reason you don't see it done much is because a simple pan doesn't
do any correction for perspective.

Thanks for the reply. Did you hack up a demo?

The Magpie

Tuxedo said:
Thanks for the reply. Did you hack up a demo?
And - if you did - I'd be interested too. Don't care about perspective,
because there won't be any, but I want to pan around (effectively) the
six faces of a cube from the inside of it and show whichever bits of
whatever faces are in the viewport.

rf

Tuxedo said:
Has anyone seen a 360° panorama javascript image display anywhere?

Assuming a photograph is used which is perfectly stitched together - such
as for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:20031207_rainycourtyard.jpg - I'm
searching for a JS/CSS type of solution including the possible to smoothly
pan left or right, autoplay and pause, while showing only a narrower
rectangular "normal size" image segment at any one time. Panning, auto pan
and pause may be done with control buttons below the image for example.

http://barefile.com.au/pan/ ?

Doc O'Leary

The Magpie said:
And - if you did - I'd be interested too.

There's nothing really interesting to show. All I did was scratch the
itch to verify that I could restrict an image view with CSS and change
it with JavaScript events. Google Maps essentially does the same thing,
and it's even easier to do a panorama because there is no XMLHttpRequest
to deal with.

Tuxedo

rf said:

Thanks for the quick muck-up. There must exist a way for this to nicely
work in CSS and Javascript. The type of panoramas I mean usually exist in
platform dependent Java or some other exotic proprietary plug-in, which may
cause a browser crash on the average speed PC, let alone work on Linux or
OSX. Nevertheless, this is quite a nice Java example, which also does
vertical panning:
http://www.rundbild.com/de/beispiel/panorama/java-only/mit-karten/karte-grundriss.htm

rf

Tuxedo said:
Thanks for the quick muck-up. There must exist a way for this to nicely
work in CSS and Javascript.

Yes, there is. It's rather trivial to a button to start a timer to
periodically change the scroll position of that div, or the *relative*
position of the image within that div. Of course then overflow: hidden;
would be appropriate.

Here you go:
http://barefile.com.au/pan/

Of course you should not do this a home. You will drive your viewers nuts.
The type of panoramas I mean usually exist in
platform dependent Java or some other exotic proprietary plug-in, which
may

Which is why I do not have java installed.
cause a browser crash on the average speed PC, let alone work on Linux or
OSX. Nevertheless, this is quite a nice Java example, which also does
vertical panning:
http://www.rundbild.com/de/beispiel/panorama/java-only/mit-karten/karte-grundriss.htm

I see nothing there that is panning. But then I don't have jave installed,
nor flash or all those other things.

Tuxedo

rf said:

That is totally cool, many thanks for posting this example!
Which is why I do not have java installed.

Perhaps it will reincarnate, but for now Java embedded on a web page is and
always has been a pretty stupid idea.
I see nothing there that is panning. But then I don't have jave installed,
nor flash or all those other things.

I agree here too, although Flash has some good features, which
unfortunately cannot be replicated with any open source alternatives.

ASM

Tuxedo a écrit :
Bart Van der Donck wrote:

[..]

It was something like this I had in mind, meaning that after all someone
has made other more expensive and proprietary plug-in solutions obsolete. A
commercial usage fee for Krolik's pano start as low as $10 USD.

a little less elaborated :
<http://stephane.moriaux.perso.orange.fr/internet/web_vrml/tests.htm>
and on the table of proposed tests click on some JS icones

to download (3 files) :
<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/stephane.moriaux/internet/web_vrml/vr_pan_js/panorama_js.zip>

Tuxedo

ASM said:
Tuxedo a écrit :
Bart Van der Donck wrote:

[..]

It was something like this I had in mind, meaning that after all someone
has made other more expensive and proprietary plug-in solutions
obsolete. A commercial usage fee for Krolik's pano start as low as $10
USD.

a little less elaborated :
<http://stephane.moriaux.perso.orange.fr/internet/web_vrml/tests.htm>
and on the table of proposed tests click on some JS icones

to download (3 files) :

Thanks for posting this interesting example! I was a bit lost at first how
to use it, since the controls are in French. I tested the various online
pano's and found the JS versions, as also in the zipped file, work great!

ASM

ASM

Tuxedo a écrit :
Thanks for posting this interesting example! I was a bit lost at first how
to use it, since the controls are in French.

Some of the tests are about the applet PTViewer
If you're interested in 360° panoramas shoots, have a look here :
http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm
a spherical shoot made with a plastic door peephole !
Result with applet PTViewer :
http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/pont1.htm
and see the site :
http://www.animatif.com/

In french ... but images don't need explanation

Tuxedo

ASM said:
Tuxedo a écrit :

Some of the tests are about the applet PTViewer
If you're interested in 360° panoramas shoots, have a look here :
http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/index.htm
a spherical shoot made with a plastic door peephole !
Result with applet PTViewer :
http://www.animatif.com/panos/minife/pont1.htm
and see the site :
http://www.animatif.com/

In french ... but images don't need explanation

At the risk of getting OT I definitely like the plastic door peephole!

Its an interesting site!