A call for 1 million programmers

mpfounder

Hooey.

You will need to back that claim up with evidence and logic. Your claim is
not supportable just in the statement of it.

It seems to me than a nawful lot of great software is written with small
teams, and certainly large teams introduce overhead to the point where large
enough teams cannot even function.

Else why would roughly half of all software projects costing over $100M fail?

Ok, there are a lot of reasons, but as Steve McConNell pointed out in /Rapid
Development/ (Microsoft Press), throwing warm bodies at a software project is
one of the thirty-six classic mistakes of software project management.

Some projects do require somewhat larger teams, but amillionprogrammers?
20% of the world supply ofprogrammers?

Tchyahh.

You do have the one essential ingredient for success - a great software
project requires a visionary with the overall concept in their mind.

BWOOOP! BWOOOP! BWOOOP! BWOOOP!

Uh-oh - my B.S. Detector is red-lining!

If you weren't asking for amillionpeople to send you $10 a month this
argument might have a skootch of credibility. But as it is ...

Hi Lew,
The $ is no longer part of this, as I mentioned in another post. For
the project that I propose to the group, that includes my IP and my
start of a platform, etc.. I will probably want some compensation. 4%
is not unreasonable, depending on the actual number that might join my
project, and considering that I am leading the project. CEOs get
hired all the time, for a bigger equity stake, and don't bring any IP
and such. Other people are free to have their own projects if they so
desire. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

It is a list and a challenge at this point in time. My project is
something that I will lay out more specifically to those that decide
they want to join it. Perhaps in the mean time people could judge as
the list grows, how I manage it and what ideas I do lay out and how
much merit they do seem to have. I think it would be of immense
interest just to see who turns out and in what numbers.