Peter J Ross

Greetings.

Please see <http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/16-poems>.

If I click one of the links in the "Contents" list at the top, then
click the "top" link in the bar at the bottom, the link from
"Contents" isn't marked visited, and neither is the link in the
navigation bar.

However, if I then refresh the page, the links are marked visited.

Is this normal behaviour, or am I doing something wrong? If it's
normal behaviour, can I change something so that the links are marked
visited? At present readers who jump around the page instead of
reading in the suggested sequence are likely to forget which parts
they've read.

Here are the relevant CSS rules from
<http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/main.css>:

div#nav a:link {
color: white;
background: black;
}
div#nav a:visited {
color: silver;
background: black;
}
a {
text-decoration: none;
}
a:hover {
text-decoration: underline;
}

Here are links if you want to bypass content negotiation:
HTML 4.01: http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/16-poems.html
XHTML 1.1: http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/16-poems.xhtml

Of course, if anybody notices other problems, I'll be pleased to hear
about them.

Nikita the Spider

Peter J Ross said:
Greetings.

Please see <http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/16-poems>.

If I click one of the links in the "Contents" list at the top, then
click the "top" link in the bar at the bottom, the link from
"Contents" isn't marked visited, and neither is the link in the
navigation bar.

However, if I then refresh the page, the links are marked visited.

Is this normal behaviour, or am I doing something wrong?

Browser-dependent. On my Mac, Firefox 1.5 colors the links visited
without a refresh. Interestingly, Safari 2 doesn't even color them after
a refresh. The only way I can get S to color the link as visited is by
including it in the URL, e.g.:
http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/16-poems#eldest-brother

Determining the behavior of other browsers is left as an exercise for
the reader. :)

HTH

Peter J Ross

In alt.html on Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:10:31 -0400, Nikita the Spider
Browser-dependent.

I was convinced that it wasn't, but I was wrong.
On my Mac, Firefox 1.5 colors the links visited
without a refresh.

Same in Iceweasel 2.0.0.6 on Debian, which has the same rendering
engine as Firefox.
Interestingly, Safari 2 doesn't even color them after
a refresh. The only way I can get S to color the link as visited is by
including it in the URL, e.g.:
http://pjr.gotdns.org/verse/16-poems#eldest-brother

Same in Konqueror 3.5.7, which has the same rendering engine as
Safari.
Determining the behavior of other browsers is left as an exercise for
the reader. :)

Opera 9.23 behaves like Safari and Konqueror.

I have no idea about IE, and frankly don't mind much if it breaks.

It helps a lot to clarify the problem, thanks.

rf

Peter J Ross said:
Of course, if anybody notices other problems, I'll be pleased to hear
about them.

You are serving this as application/xhtml+xml;

IE (both 6 and 7) do not support xhtml so your page is unusable with these
browsers. They invite me to download the page.

Here are links if you want to bypass content negotiation:
Content negotiation broken?

Peter J Ross

You are serving this as application/xhtml+xml;

IE (both 6 and 7) do not support xhtml so your page is unusable with these
browsers. They invite me to download the page.

IE *should* be sent the HTML 4.01 variant as text/html.
Content negotiation broken?

I think IE may be sending "Accept: */*". Perhaps this will fix it? (I
can't check for myself because I have no access to a Windows box at
present.)

AddType application/xhtml+xml;qs=0.8 .xhtml

If not, I'll have to start playing with mod_rewrite.

Thanks for your help.