    along the way. I do hope and look forward to hearing from anyone, who
    thinks, they can help. So I will thank this individual in advance, by
    saying: "thank you for replying".

    Rodney Edmondson, Nov 25, 2003

  2. ...
    http://java.sun.com/features/1999/10/tools_qa.html
    indicates it does, specifically the bit that reads..

    <qoute>
    Q. On what platforms is NetBeans Developer available?

    A. NetBeans Developer runs on any Java 2 technology
    compliant platform. That includes Solaris, Linux, and
    Microsoft Windows operating environments.
    </quote>

    I do not use NetBeans, but I run Java 2 under
    XP just fine.

    You problem may arise from a configuration problem
    with your NetBaens or java installation, but it is
    difficult to say from the limited information you
    provided.

    Having said that, I advise you to dump the IDE
    and use the command line to compile and run
    your projects.

    Not only will you learn a lot more, but you will
    probably gain enough knowledge to understand
    _why_ NetBeans is not working..

    HTH

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Rodney Edmondson

    brougham5 Guest

    That would be my advice, as well.

    If you are paying for the class, I'd suggest getting support from your
    school, as well.

    brougham5, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Rodney Edmondson

    David Segall Guest

    Let's start here. NetBeans definitely works under XP. I suggest you
    download the NetBeans IDE and J2SE cobundle for windows from here
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html. That will ensure that
    you have the correct NetBeans and Java setup and should work with a
    double click on the icon it adds to your start menu. It's huge so if
    you don't have broadband you will need to get someone to download it
    for you.

    You will receive some follow up posts that will advise you, as a
    beginner, not to use NetBeans to develop Java programs. Ignore them.
    They may be right in criticising your teacher for introducing NetBeans
    so early in your course but you will only cause yourself extra stress
    by trying to write programs in a way that conflicts with the way you
    are being taught.

    David Segall, Nov 25, 2003