    the foo is destroyed? Or is this discussion moot as long as I use pre and
    post conditions?

    Tim Partridge

    Tim Partridge, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Most certainly not. This allows to use temporaries of type 'foo'
    in a call to 'add', and you don't want to store pointers to any
    temporaries in your list.
    Yes, that's the ticket. You could of course, use a reference to
    non-const 'foo':

    void add(foo& f) { lst.push_back(&f); }

    which is a tad better than the first one because it won't let
    the caller to use a temporary.
    I suppose it depends on how you set up your conditions and their
    verification.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Tim Partridge

    Phlip Guest

    This is a technical question. The answer is to prefer weaker things to
    stronger ones. Prefer references unless you need a pointer's extra features.
    The only difference at an interface is the pointer could be NULL.

    Can you push a NULL?

    Another answer is symetry. The 'get' or 'pop' methods should, of course,
    return the same type. Can they return a NULL, such as for a "not found"
    situation?

    Finally, you should avoid the implication that the list owns the object, or
    that one can't enlist stack objects.

    Phlip, Aug 1, 2003