A single interview question

Lew

I have experience from java 1.8.8 -- what's that, 15 years? I am

There never was a Java 1.8.x, yet.
currently employed as Technology Director in a startup company, and I
code daily (its a small company!). I have never *once* used javadoc.

More the pity, that. Perhaps you don't actually program in Java?
Your logic is flawed, and your real world experience questionable.

Perhaps his logic is flawed, but you should support your assertion with logic
of your own.

Most Java programmers, and in my experience all competent Java programmers,
refer to the Javadocs constantly. The API is so large, I find it amazing that
anyone could hold the whole in memory without *some* reference.

Furthermore, most Java programmers, and in my experience all competent Java
programmers, use the Javadocs to gain familiarity with parts of the API that
they haven't previously learned.

In addition moreover, most Java programmers, and in my experience all
competent Java programmers, write Javadocs for their own code. Do you?

Tris Orendorff

(e-mail address removed)-berlin.de (Stefan Ram) burped up warm pablum in
groups: comp.lang.java.programmer

An experienced Java developer« is to be hired.

You may ask him just one question to estimate how
much experience he has with Java.

I don't think that I'd work for anyone who only asked me one Java question in an interview. However, a
question about the usefulness of unit tests would give me insight into the candidate's suitability.

--
Tris Orendorff
[ Anyone naming their child should spend a few minutes checking rhyming slang and dodgy sounding names.

Arne Vajhøj

I have experience from java 1.8.8 -- what's that, 15 years? I am
currently employed as Technology Director in a startup company, and I
code daily (its a small company!). I have never *once* used javadoc.
Your logic is flawed, and your real world experience questionable.

Let me see:
- there are no Java 1.8.8
- Java 1.0 was released 12 years ago (Wikipedia claims
January 23rd 1996 - in one and a half month that will be 12 years)
- it is unprofessional not to write JavaDoc comments in real code

I don't think the question about JavaDoc is a good interview
question.

But your post is not a good answer to the reasonable interview
question "What experience with Java do you have ?".

In most places the interview would end very quickly.

Arne