A very basic question..

neelsmail

Hi,

Apologies in advance. Question is going to sound almost certainly
silly and is about web services which I am not very familiar with.

Question:

Can a libray/jar using a web service encapsulated/implemented in one
of the web services framework, Axis for example, pass an object
returned by web services call to client encapsulating/implementing web
service in different web services framework, GlassFish for example?

Pseudo example:

Library:

WebSericeStructImage_UsingAxis GetImage() {
WebSericeStructImage_UsingAxis webServiceStructImg =
webServiceCallUsingAxis_GetRawImage();
InternalLibraryCall(webServiceStructImg);
return webServiceStructImg;

}

Client:

WebSericeStructImage_UsingGlassFish
webServiceStructUsingImgGlassFishImg = Library::GetImage();

If this question misplaced here could you PLEASE let me know what
forum I can post web services related question in (couldn't find a
single good forum)?

Thanks in advance,
-Neel.

Roedy Green

Can a libray/jar using a web service encapsulated/implemented in one
of the web services framework, Axis for example, pass an object
returned by web services call to client encapsulating/implementing web
service in different web services framework, GlassFish for example?

Objects can be shared only within a running JVM. Your frameworks will
run in different JVMs. To share information between them, you could:

1. leave messages in a SQL database.

2. send HTML requests to each other.

3. set up an TCP/IP socket pipe.

4. write files.

5. communicate with RMI.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
~ Charles Darwin.

Lew

(e-mail address removed) wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
who said :
Standard XML-based web services, i.e., those using WSDL and so forth,
can interoperate just fine. It is routine for a Web service
implemented in Java or .NET to be accessed by Java, .NET, Perl or
other clients.

Roedy said:
Objects can be shared only within a running JVM.  Your frameworks will
run in different JVMs.  To share information between them, you could:

1. leave messages in a SQL database.

2. send HTML requests to each other.

3. set up an TCP/IP socket pipe.

This is the basis for some of the other solutions, or one could layer
Java serialization over it.
4. write files.

5. communicate with RMI.

6. Communicate with CORBA.

7. Use web services via HTML or SMTP.

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

It depends on the web service's level of standardization:

standard SOAP, WSDL, WS-I : you should be able to call the
web service from anything - any Java web service toolkit,
..NET, Python, PHP etc..

Java standard JAX-WS/JAX-RPC : you should be able to call the
web service from any Java web service toolkit

Axis specific (*) : you will need Axis on the client side

Based on the information you give it is impossible to say
which it is.

But I will says that it is usually very easy to make it
fully standard.

*) I have never seen Axis produce something Axis specific, but
that does not mean that it can not.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
Objects can be shared only within a running JVM. Your frameworks will
run in different JVMs. To share information between them, you could:

1. leave messages in a SQL database.

2. send HTML requests to each other.

3. set up an TCP/IP socket pipe.

4. write files.

5. communicate with RMI.

Bases on the original post, then transport is already decided
(SOAP/HTTP).

Arne