About Ruby

Jakob Lenfers

Phillip Gawlowski

Jeremy McAnally

There is no language spec for Ruby. You can look at the spec suite
that's being built as a reference....that's about the closest thing we
have. Of course, you can also look at the parser. :)

As for books, I'd recommend "The Ruby Programming Language" since Matz
was involved in authoring it. It's not necessarily the "best"
teaching book, but it's the most up to date and covers more of the
"why."

--Jeremy

Hi,

I'm new to Ruby and apart from wanting to learn ruby (and rails), I
chose Ruby as a language I'll have to - mh, in lack of a better word -
analyze this semester.

Most importantly I would like to know what is the /highest/
documentation for Ruby, some kind of definition? I mean there are
several implementations (Ruby, JRuby, IronRuby, ...), where is
documented what they have to implement? Something similar to
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/j.title.doc.html

Also I would like to get some general book about ruby. It would be best
if it would include a chapter about Matz motivations and the focus of
ruby. There are sure a lot of pages in the net about that, but a citable
source would be nicer.

I hope my question fits in here, I couldn't find indication
otherwise. In case it doesn't, pointer to a better location would be
nice.

TIA, Jakob
P.S. I wasn't around in the usenet quite a while, I hope my config is
still all right :)

--
http://jeremymcanally.com/
http://entp.com