"Access to performance data was denied.."

Craig Santoli

"... to ASPNet as attempted from C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe."

This error keeps appearing in the Windows 2000 Server Event Viewer.

Any ideas on what's causing this or how to prevent it?

Thanks,
Craig Santoli

Natty Gur

Craig Hi,

Windows 2000 limits WMI-data access to Windows 2000 administrators. If
you attempt to access information from an unprivileged account, the
Application log records the following event:

Event ID 1000 Source Perflib
Access to performance data was denied to ASPNet as attempted from
C:\WINNT\System32\WinMgmt.exe

Natty Gur, CTO
Dao2Com Ltd.
34th Elkalay st. Raanana
Israel , 43000
Phone Numbers:
Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Finn Hart

I also started seeing a lot of these (in my case, after installing MSFT
Reporting Services).

As Natty implied, the fix is to give the ASPNET user access to the WMI
API. You can do this like so:

Open the "Computer Management" app
Expand the "Services and Applications" section
Right-click the "WMI Control" entry & select "Properties"
Go to the "Security" tab
Expand the "Root" node and then select the "WMI" node
Click the "Security" button
Add the "ASPNET" user & give it access

In my case, at least, restarting the ReportServer service was required
for this change to take effect.