accessing a value in all the pages

timonjue

I want to acess a string value from one of my asp pages and write it in
all other pages. am new in asp leave alone asp.net how would i do that
in asp
help

Richard Brown

I want to acess a string value from one of my asp pages and write it in
all other pages. am new in asp leave alone asp.net how would i do that
in asp
help

This really depends on you actual scenario where is the initial value
coming from how long does it need to be persisted etc is it shared
accross sessions? etc? A few obvious methods would include:

1) Initial page sets value in database, subsequent pages retrieve value
from database.
2) Initial page sets session variable, subsequent pages retrieve
session variable.
3) Initial page sets cookie value, subsequent pages retrieve cookie
value.

Richard

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Richard said:
This really depends on you actual scenario where is the initial value
coming from how long does it need to be persisted etc is it shared
accross sessions? etc? A few obvious methods would include:

1) Initial page sets value in database, subsequent pages retrieve
value from database.
2) Initial page sets session variable, subsequent pages retrieve
session variable.
3) Initial page sets cookie value, subsequent pages retrieve cookie
value.
2a) Initial page sets Application variable, subsequent pages retrieve
application variable
4) Initial page uses FSO or MSXML to create a server-side text file
which is accessed by subsequent pages

In asp.Net, all the above apply. In addition, you can use the system
Cache object.

Bob Barrows