Active Directory Services cannot find the web server

Amol Shambharkar

Hello Everyone,
I am hoping someone could help me out with this.I am using Visual
Studio .NET 2003 to create a web application on a remote IIS 5.0
server using the File Share web access method.The problem is I get the
following two errors everytime I try to create the application:

Error 1:
The web was created successfully, but an error occured trying to
configure the application root of this web.Web projects may not
operate correctly without an application root.The returned error
was"Active Directory Services cannot find the web server.A possible
cause of this is an incompatibility between versions of Internet
Information Server(IIS) on the client and the server.The usual cause
for this error is creating web projects on a windows 2000 or newer
server from a windows NT 4.0 client.
You can manually configure the application using the Internet Services
Manager.

Error 2:
Unable to set the permissions on the 'bin' folder to restrict browse
access.Active Directory Services cannot find the web server.A possible
cause of this is an incompatibility between versions of Internet
Information Server(IIS) on the client and the server.The usual cause
for this error is creating web projects on a windows 2000 or newer
server from a windows NT 4.0 client.
You can manually configure the application using the Internet Services
Manager.

Now I have read the article related to these errors on microsoft at
this address:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=320451

And true to its word,the solution that the article suggests resolves
the above mentioned errors i.e. If I install IIS on the client
machine,the errors are eliminated.But,we don't want to install IIS on
all the client machines which will be used to create a web application
on the remote server.We feel there is a security issue with doing
this.Is there any way to get around the above mentioned errors without
having to install IIS on all the client machines? I would really
appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.Thanks in
advance,do reply.

Amol.

endo

I am having the same problem with a windows xp pro with iis 5.1
connecting to a windows server 2003 with iis 6.0. on a VPN. 6.0 is not
available for xp but I do have the 6.0 console manager for xp which
incedently does not work properly when connecting to the server. It
errors out with a "interface not registered" when I try to browse in to
the websites. (it does connect). This is not that important to me but it
is annoying and maybe it's related?

Anyways, I get the stupid "...active directory services cannot find the
web server..." error and also the usuall bin folder permissions error as
well when trying to create a new web project in .net visual studio 2003.
I have read the microsoft docs and also tried the
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -i on
both the client and server and still no luck. Prefer not to use front
page extensions...