Add Browser Gate to GZip Servlet Filter

Java script Dude

For performance reasons, I would like to gzip up all code based web
resources (html, css, js), however due to an (as designed?) flaw in
IE, I am can only acomplish html gzip'ing. All my tests with js and
css have failed in IE but (as expected) work flawlessly in Mozilla.

I would like to add a gate into the servlet filter framework that can
read the request header and depending on the browser, allow inclusion
of gzip filter. If Mozilla, I want to GZip it all, if IE only GZip
html.

Has anybody tried this or have any idea's. It would be sweet to be
able to notify my bosses that Mozilla runs twice as fast as IE on
slower networks because it just plain works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JsD