Adding another item to a completed DataLIst

David Lozzi

Hello,

I'm using a datalist, 2 columns, verticle direction. When the items are
finished being displayed, I'd like to "manually" add addition text to the
end of the list and have it appear right after the last item. Something like
this:

Item 1 Item 4
Item 2 Item 5
Item 3 my text

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

David Lozzi

What I did is UNION an addition dummy record to my query, and on
itemdatabound I checked for the dummy information, then displayed what I
wanted. Any better ideas?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think your current approach is
the reasonable one, based on my research I haven't found any other better
means than do the trick at DataSource level. For such template databound
control as DataGrid, DataList, its hard to dynamically add additional item
at UI level , so the formal means should be adjust the datasource. Also,
you're currently modifying the DataSource at backend database level, if
you're using DataTable to retrieve the records from database, we can also
add the dummy record at .NET dataaccessing level (through DataTable 's Add
row).

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
| From: "David Lozzi" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:00:07 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| What I did is UNION an addition dummy record to my query, and on
| itemdatabound I checked for the dummy information, then displayed what I
| wanted. Any better ideas?
|
| --
| David Lozzi
| Web Applications Developer
| dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
|

| | > Hello,
| >
| > I'm using a datalist, 2 columns, verticle direction. When the items are
| > finished being displayed, I'd like to "manually" add addition text to
the
| > end of the list and have it appear right after the last item. Something
| > like this:
| >
| > Item 1 Item 4
| > Item 2 Item 5
| > Item 3 my text
| >
| > Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
| >
| > Thanks!
| >
| > --
| > David Lozzi
| > Web Applications Developer
| > dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

How are you doing on this issue, does the things in my last reply helps a
little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:15:06 GMT
| Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Hi David,
|
| Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think your current approach is
| the reasonable one, based on my research I haven't found any other better
| means than do the trick at DataSource level. For such template databound
| control as DataGrid, DataList, its hard to dynamically add additional
item
| at UI level , so the formal means should be adjust the datasource. Also,
| you're currently modifying the DataSource at backend database level, if
| you're using DataTable to retrieve the records from database, we can also
| add the dummy record at .NET dataaccessing level (through DataTable 's
Add
| row).
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| --------------------
| | From: "David Lozzi" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| | Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:00:07 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| 3.phx.gbl
| | wanted. Any better ideas?
| |
| | --
| | David Lozzi
| | Web Applications Developer
| | dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
| |
| |
| |

| | > I'm using a datalist, 2 columns, verticle direction. When the items
are
| | > finished being displayed, I'd like to "manually" add addition text to
| the
| | > end of the list and have it appear right after the last item.
Something
| | > like this:
| | >
| | > Item 1 Item 4
| | > Item 2 Item 5
| | > Item 3 my text
| | >
| | > Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
| | >
| | > Thanks!
| | >
| | > --
| | > David Lozzi
| | > Web Applications Developer
| | > dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com

| |
| |
| |

David Lozzi

Actually, its running great with the summy record added at the database.
Thanks for your help!

--

Steven Cheng said:
Hi David,

How are you doing on this issue, does the things in my last reply helps a
little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:15:06 GMT
| Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Hi David,
|
| Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think your current approach
is
| the reasonable one, based on my research I haven't found any other
better
| means than do the trick at DataSource level. For such template databound
| control as DataGrid, DataList, its hard to dynamically add additional
item
| at UI level , so the formal means should be adjust the datasource.
Also,
| you're currently modifying the DataSource at backend database level, if
| you're using DataTable to retrieve the records from database, we can
also
| add the dummy record at .NET dataaccessing level (through DataTable 's
Add
| row).
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| --------------------
| | From: "David Lozzi" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| | Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:00:07 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| 3.phx.gbl
| | wanted. Any better ideas?
| |
| | --
| | David Lozzi
| | Web Applications Developer
| | dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
| |
| |
| |

| | > I'm using a datalist, 2 columns, verticle direction. When the items
are
| | > finished being displayed, I'd like to "manually" add addition text
| the
| | > end of the list and have it appear right after the last item.
Something
| | > like this:
| | >
| | > Item 1 Item 4
| | > Item 2 Item 5
| | > Item 3 my text
| | >
| | > Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
| | >
| | > Thanks!
| | >
| | > --
| | > David Lozzi
| | > Web Applications Developer
| | > dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com

| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome David,

Good luck!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "David Lozzi" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:31:53 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
|
| Actually, its running great with the summy record added at the database.
| Thanks for your help!
|
| --
| David Lozzi
| Web Applications Developer
| dlozzi@(remove-this)delphi-ts.com
|

| | > Hi David,
| >
| > How are you doing on this issue, does the things in my last reply helps
| > little? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
| > here. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:15:06 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Adding another item to a completed DataLIst
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols
| > |
| > | Hi David,
| > |
| > | Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| > | Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think your current
approach
| > is
| > | the reasonable one, based on my research I haven't found any other
| > better
| > | means than do the trick at DataSource level. For such template
databound
| > | control as DataGrid, DataList, its hard to dynamically add additional
| > item
| > | at UI level , so the formal means should be adjust the datasource.
| > Also,
| > | you're currently modifying the DataSource at backend database level,
if
| > | you're using DataTable to retrieve the records from database, we can
| > also
| > | add the dummy record at .NET dataaccessing level (through DataTable 's
| > Add
| > | row).
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols

TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA03.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp1
| > | 3.phx.gbl
| > | |