Advice for programming career

Joined
Jul 16, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I'm an Aerospace Engineering student with some limited previous python and MATLAB experience. I've enjoyed programming and wish to develop my knowledge with the hope of getting a job in this area when I graduate next year. I was hoping someone could give me advice on what language(s) to learn or any recommendations for good courses and tips that would help me develop towards being employable.
Thanks

Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
42
Reaction score
7
Hello! It's great to hear about your interest in programming and your goal of becoming more employable in the aerospace engineering field. Programming skills are indeed valuable in this industry. Here are some suggestions to help you develop your programming skills and enhance your employability:
  1. Python:
    • Since you already have some experience with Python, it's a good idea to continue building on that foundation. Python is widely used in the aerospace industry for tasks such as data analysis, simulation, and automation.
  2. MATLAB:
    • MATLAB is extensively used in aerospace engineering for numerical analysis, simulation, and control system design. Make sure to deepen your knowledge of MATLAB, especially in areas like Simulink for system modeling.
  3. C++:
    • C++ is commonly used in aerospace for software development, especially in embedded systems and performance-critical applications. Learning C++ will be beneficial if you are involved in software development for aerospace systems.
  4. Version Control:
    • Familiarize yourself with version control systems like Git. Many engineering projects, including aerospace, rely on version control to manage code repositories collaboratively.
  5. Data Structures and Algorithms:
    • Strengthen your understanding of fundamental data structures and algorithms. This is crucial for writing efficient and optimized code, which is important in the aerospace industry.
  6. Aerospace-Specific Libraries:
    • Explore libraries and frameworks specific to aerospace, such as NASA's OpenMDAO (Open-source Multidisciplinary Design Analysis and Optimization).
  7. Online Courses and Certifications:
    • Platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udacity offer courses in programming, data science, and software engineering. Look for courses that align with your interests and the industry's requirements.
  8. Real-world Projects:
    • Apply your programming skills to real-world projects related to aerospace engineering. This could include simulations, data analysis, or even contributing to open-source aerospace projects.
  9. Networking:
    • Attend industry events, webinars, and conferences to network with professionals in the aerospace and programming fields. Networking can open up opportunities for internships and job prospects.
  10. Build a Portfolio:
    • Create a portfolio showcasing your programming projects and their applications in aerospace engineering. This will serve as a tangible representation of your skills for potential employers.
Remember that practical experience and projects can significantly enhance your resume. As you approach graduation, consider applying for internships or co-op positions to gain hands-on experience in the aerospace industry. Good luck with your programming journey and your future career in aerospace engineering!

Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
It's great that you're looking to enhance your programming skills. You already have a good foundation to build on with Python and MATLAB. Here are some suggestions to help you develop your skills in the programming fields,
1. You should learn a general-purpose language, and you're already familiar with Python, but also learn another language like Java, C++, or C#.

2. Enhance your knowledge in data science and machine learning.

3. several websites like LeetCode, HackerRank, and Project Euler provide coding challenges that can help improve your problem-solving skills.

5. Alongside this, you should take relevant courses on different platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udemy in programming, data science, and software development.
6. Attending programming meetups, conferences, and networking events is also very helpful in enhancing your learning in the field.
7. Stay updated with the constantly evolving field of programming.
8. Last but not least, also consider internships or part-time roles.

Joined
Sep 21, 2022
Messages
122
Reaction score
15
Project Euler was interesting for a while, but their problems were getting repetitive, with the same basic form.

They take a simple problem that can be solved by a straightforward method, and constrain it such that the straightforward method will take just a little bit too long on a modern computer.

I could only see 3 solutions.

1: find a short cut (rarely happened)

2: find or create huge lists of precomputed constants, such as prime factorizations (which are then rarely reused by me)

3: accept the long running time (bit of a waste of a CPU in my opinion)