Software Engineering Bootcamps (worth consider?)

Joined
Nov 7, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, dear Software Developers.

I’m currently 23 years old, second year robotics engineer student. I’m finishing my second year now and I realized, that it’s not what I really want to do in life. I really have a passion for software development.

Currently, I have some skills in C++ oriented programming and C. Also learned HTML and CSS, before attending uni. After enquiring about software engineering major, it became obvious that it will take for me approximately 3 more years of study full time.

I’m seriously considering the software engineering bootcamp option (5 months program) during summer break and 1st semester, as I want to get to the work-field as soon as possible, as the idea of studying 3 more years, looks very daunting to me.

I had a look through their academic course plan and they do cover most commonly required skills that many employer look in software developer, like Ruby-on-rails, .NET, SQL etc. Its mostly a web-developing + oriented programing and database programing language skills. It looks very like a skillset needed for final year software engineering project.

My motivation is to get into software industry as soon as possible, as I am afraid, that after finishing uni, at the age of 26, I will have minimum to no work experience. I really want to start something right now and have more or less stable job at my age.

My question, is it possible to get any software development jobs (I understand 5 months may be not enough for software engineering position) after finishing bootcamp? Or is such courses designed to be more like a general skill enhancement program?

Thank you!

Joined
Nov 18, 2021
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello. Let's address the questions that you have.

My question, is it possible to get any software development jobs (I understand 5 months may be not enough for software engineering position) after finishing BootCamp?

Yes.
You can get any job if you are knowledgeable in the domain that you want to work in.

Companies nowadays are giving the test for you to solve and either you pass it, or you don't. They don't tend to look into your educational background as much.

Freelancing is also something that you can consider.

Or is such courses designed to be more like a general skill enhancement program?

It depends.
Getting into bootcapms is more practical than finishing the uni. Where I live, the lectures in CS are very theoretical oriented, in a sense that even tho we do have programming in classes, it's not the standard that the industry is using. I can even say that it's outdated.

BootCamp is very practical-oriented, but I doubt that you will learn all product-grade stuff there.

Experience is your best friend when it comes to software. The more you do it, the better you are.

Also, find a niche where you want to work in. Software engineering is very abstract, so choose for example, web or gaming development. You get the point :)