Algebra Rizing

Richard Cornford

Sorry, we call this triage:

Who are "we" in this case? In normal triage decisions are made based
on the condition of the subject, rather than some other arbitrary
factor. After all, what has my having "a stack" (whatever you think
you mean by that) got to do with how long the resources employed by a
website take to download (or how many bytes that download represents.
someone making un-reproducible reports of behavior 20
times slower than is observed elsewhere has to be
ignored until I can outsource your call to India.

I did not call, you presented your creation for comment and I
commented. I have precisely zero intention of helping you solve the
problems you have with that creation, even if you were not so
determined to hide from them.

Obviously I have no idea how you are going about this 'testing' you
are doing but I suspect that it is seriously faulty based on what you
are saying. For example, you assert that "Last I looked it was ~800k",
yet the single resource at http://teamalgebra.com/script/soa.js is
sent with a Content-Length header of 1074214, which alone far exceeds
800k, and that is without the content of the responses to the other 80
odd request made during the initial loading of the page. If you are
failing to reproduce the issues that you are being told about it seems
quite likely that you are either not trying very hard or don't know
how to set about it.

Richard.

His kennyness

Very slow to load, over 20 seconds.

I get 1-2s, ie, too fast to notice. But I'll keep my eye on these
sporadic "slow load" reports. There seems to be some interaction at work
in which people opposed to large JS libraries get really slow loads.
Puzzling...
Sometimes it gets stuck and just
stops loading in a dysfunctional state and a reload is required to get
it to "work".

No shit, Einstein. Look at the warnings all over the site that I am
sharing what /does/ work as I go but that overall it is a train wreck.
The spirit is: sharing with people interested in programming the web
with Lisp and qooxdoo, and/or with people interested in math education.

Usenet flameholes are not a big worry yet, but when i think it is done
you'll be terribly useful for stress-testing. Don't go away.
Freestyle section:

Seems dysfunctional and very slow. Selecting "Simplify" and entering:

y = 2x + 3x

(a) Another choice was solve. Duh.
(b) I have yet to add "Solve for _" to the interface for equations with
more than one variable. The qooxdoo RadioGroupBox widget is badly
implemented*, I'll have to find a spare hour soon to deal with it.

* Feel better?
The delete key does nothing.

Yeah, and that is going to be tricky in a wysiwyg math editor, but I
used to handle that so ... eventually. The backstory is that in the past
I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours implementing drag-select,
cut-and-paste, etc etc and I am pretty sure that that was a waste of
time for an Algebra basics tutorial. Kids just will not use cut/paste
for -3x-2>13. yet the development cost is extraordinary. Hell, i am not
even worried about letting them click to position the cursor.

The moral is: without an unlimited budget (meaning, "always") do not
implement cool feature X until a good number of people (other than JS
library haters) ask for it.

An OT question: what place does automatic parenthesis insertion have
in an algebra tutorial? Shouldn't students be learning where to put
them themselves?

We agree! It /is/ important for students to face all the challenges, but
what challenge goes away if we generate the balancing parens when they
type the left? If there were a parens-rich expression (not so much at
this level) they would still need to put things in the right place
relative to those parens. Your comment makes it sound like they just
type anything they want and the software goes through and decideds where
to put parens to make the expression correct. Nope.

if you mean they might neglect to add a balancing parens, then we can
get into why math education sucks: we should not punish careless error,
we should if we can just worry about the concepts. With pencil and paper
we are forced to hold kids' feet to the fire on some of these things,
but where software can provide a safety net it lowers the barrier to
entry to what can be a very enjoyable subject.

Another problem is that editing math has to be incredibly slick if
students who are already struggling with the concepts of math are going
to benefit from software. ie, the typical math equation editor where
one /builds/ a math expression piece by piece is not going to cut it.

kt

http://teamalgebra.com/

John G Harris

I get 1-2s, ie, too fast to notice.
<snip>

Your soa.js is 1,077,248 bytes long. To get a 2s download time you need
an 8+Mbit/s connection transferring at full speed. You should assume
that many of your broadband customers are getting only 2Mb/s.

Your sure.png is over 118 kB. It can be reduced to 17 kB without
degradation by making it a GIF file with 32 colours.

John

His kennyness

<snip>

Your soa.js is 1,077,248 bytes long. To get a 2s download time you need
an 8+Mbit/s connection transferring at full speed. You should assume
that many of your broadband customers are getting only 2Mb/s.

I have a standard cable-based broadband connection.

teamalgebra.com came up in (I lied) four seconds. This is running in a
virtual machine that has never surfed the web beofre, so nothing was
cached. cnn.com came up in twelve seconds.

case still closed.
Your sure.png is over 118 kB. It can be reduced to 17 kB without
degradation by making it a GIF file with 32 colours.

Forest. Trees. Please note order.

kt

Richard Cornford

On 06/29/2010 11:41 PM, RobG wrote:

Yeah, and that is going to be tricky in a wysiwyg math editor,

But for some reason not that tricky in browser-based wysiwig HTML
editors.
but I used to handle that so ... eventually. The backstory is
that in the past I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours
implementing drag-select, cut-and-paste, etc etc and I am pretty
sure that that was a waste of time for an Algebra basics tutorial.
Kids just will not use cut/paste for -3x-2>13. yet the
development cost is extraordinary. Hell, i am not even worried
about letting them click to position the cursor.

The moral is: without an unlimited budget (meaning, "always")
do not implement cool feature X until a good number of people
(other than JS library haters) ask for it.
<snip>

That would be a conclusion that suggest you haven't understood what
you have done. The standard HTML input field had support for delete,
navigation (of characters, words, etc.) by keyboard, home, end, insert/
overwrite, cursor positioning by mouse, drag selection, copy, paste,
etc., etc. And usually using OS native idioms familiar to the user
form their experience with other software in that environment. All of
this built-in, handled by the browser and available at precisely zero
effort to the javascript programmer. (And that is without even
considering features such as - contentEditable - and the like for non-
form control elements.)

If you are working in a browser and you don't have these facilities
then that is not because you haven't bothered to make the effort to
put them in, it is because you made some effort to design them out.
And not appreciating that suggest you designed them about without
realising that you were doing so, which is probably true as you were
determined to disregard the warnings you were given about qooxdoo when
you first proposed using it. And it is the decision (your decision,
despite advice to the contrary) to use qooxdoo is the point where you
designed a whole host of useful/desirable features out of your
product.

The qooxdoo approach, of attempting to do away with the browser's
HTML, and its accompanying layout and presentation facilities in
favour of a fully scripted alternative is initially appealing because
it allows a (superficial) level of direct control over the
presentation that does not appear to be available otherwise. Many
people have tried it, and given up when they realised the depth of the
problems they were creating for themselves. These problems include,
but are fare from limited to, recreating all of the (familiar, to the
user) keyboard interaction features that the browser would have been
providing for free. These things are difficult to script, especially
when you consider their full range, the differences in styles between
OS, alternative input methods (e.g. Tablet PC's handwriting input
methods), alternative keyboard layouts and accessibility generally. So
the creators of libraries that attempt to provide a fully scripted
user interface don't tend to provide these things, because they have
avoided the HTML provided facilities and, either out of ignorance of
their existence, the extent of their existence, the inability to
implement them or the realisation that implementing them will bloat
and slow their product to the point where it will be seen as non-
viable, they have done little (or nothing) to script these things back
into their libraries. And this is qooxdoo, there appears to be much
breadth in its set of UI widgets but there is very little depth to
them; they are nowhere near to being finished (in the sense of
providing equivalent facilities to those that the browser would have
provided, if asked to) and the amount of additional code that will be
needed to finish them is not going to help a framework that is already
bulky and slow.

You will, of course, assert that you don't care. But in the end the
reactions to qooxdoo expressed to you in the past are really not just
the knee-jerk reactions of "JS library haters", but are instead, at
least in part, a reaction to an understanding of what qooxdoo is
doing, how far short it is currently falling of achieving what it is
attempting, and that any choice to use it will have considerable
negative consequences (not least in terms of the facilities provided
by any possible user interface).

Richard.

RobG

I get 1-2s, ie, too fast to notice.

It loads in 5 to 10 seconds sometimes, but that is over a very fast
connection.

No shit, Einstein. Look at the warnings all over the site that I am
sharing what /does/ work as I go but that overall it is a train wreck.

You post a link asking for comment, I visit, notice behaviour and
report it. I have no idea what your expectations are for the site, how
can I know whether what I experience is what *you* expected? How do I
know what I should and should not report?
[...]
Usenet flameholes are not a big worry yet, but when i think it is done
you'll be terribly useful for stress-testing. Don't go away.

After replying with abusive language you expect me to continue helping
you out?

You trimmed the bit where I said:

| I have no idea whether the application is
| supposed to simplify the function or if I
| am expected to enter the simplification and
| it will check if I'm right. I couldn't do
| either to find out.

In other words, tried other options but *none* of them worked. I had
hoped you'd tell me what it is supposed to do, whether or not it works
and if it does how to make it work. Instead I get Homer Simpson.

*None* of the options work, not simplify, factor, solve, solve and
classify or hint.

(b) I have yet to add "Solve for _" to the interface for equations with
more than one variable.

What is already there doesn't work, at all. It might be better to get
it working first.

[...]
Yeah, and that is going to be tricky in a wysiwyg math editor, but I
used to handle that so ... eventually. The backstory is that in the past
I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours implementing drag-select,
cut-and-paste, etc etc and I am pretty sure that that was a waste of
time for an Algebra basics tutorial. Kids just will not use cut/paste
for -3x-2>13. yet the development cost is extraordinary. Hell, i am not
even worried about letting them click to position the cursor.

If you used a basic HTML interface, all that functionality comes free,
with zero development effort.

The moral is: without an unlimited budget (meaning, "always") do not
implement cool feature X until a good number of people (other than JS
library haters) ask for it.

The moral is don't throw away *all* the functionality provided for
free in a browser, then complain when you realise you'll have to re-
code it all.

[...]
Another problem is that editing math has to be incredibly slick if
students who are already struggling with the concepts of math are going
to benefit from software.

Yet you see no need for many basic UI features that are missing from
your application. Perhaps we have different views on what a "slick"
interface is.

[...]

His kennyness

Was that really necessary?

I'll try again (or you could just do your damndest to Actually Read(tm)
what I wrote above. Your choice. From the page Mr Genius is complaining
about:

"This is a work in progress. i.e., It is a mess. Think of it as watching
a building going up."

On the welcome page (overusing the metaphor, I concede): "But this web
site is still being developed. Some things are missing.. and some things
do not work. If you like watching buildings go up, come on in!"

Now if you still do not understand why only an idiot would post hundreds
of words of complaints about the behavior of the system... yer not
trying are you? I get a lot of that around here, mostly from people who
hate JS libraries.

if you are still confused (or pretending to be) consider that RobG ended
with "have you tried just doing HTML"? See axe. Grind. Not that I had
any doubt what was his motivation, but I appreciated the outright
confession.
RobG gave you the feedback you were
(apparently) asking for,

I was asking for intellectually dishonest axe-grinding? Damn, I am worse
than i thought.

Check your notes, i did not ask for anything. I am sharing a neat meld
of Lisp and qooxdoo to web programming for a universal audience no
harder than programming for one OS desktop using Gtk. Anyone interested
in web programming should be using this technology. Your buddy meanwhile
is upset that the editor supports backspace but does not support delete.
Love that laser focus on what matters.

If you were aware of my disclaimers and did not chastise RobG for
ignoring him, shame on you. If you were not aware of them, then you ahve
not been to the site and are defending RobG on the basis of ignorance.
Same shame.

kt

His kennyness

Hi,

Do you really need to send to your server a XHR each time I hit a key
or click in the input control ?

Have you seen the code behind the math editor? Obviously a port to JS
would be worthwhile when there are no other problems to solve, or if the
round-trip itself turns out to be a show-stopper. But what I am sure you
have not considered is the typing speed of a student doing Algebra. I am
also sure that you believe "texting" from cell phones will never catch
on because it is so hard typing in the messages.

Keep up the good work.

kt

<what a bunch of losers>

His kennyness

It loads in 5 to 10 seconds sometimes, but that is over a very fast
connection.

ha-ha, awesome, I am up to 4, you are down to 5-10. Another couple of
messages and we may pass each other. I feel a word problem coming on...
one flamer leaves from 2s at 10am, another leaves from 30s six hours
earlier...

kt

His kennyness

But for some reason not that tricky in browser-based wysiwig HTML
editors.

You do not even know what my math editor does and are smart enough to
talk about it anyway? Will you be my friend? i could learn so
much....PWUAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAA!!!!!!

It's all about the principle of least surprise, and diabolically tricky
transformations of a syntax-heavy tree structure. Does HTML convey tree
structure with superscripts? Oh, no. it doesn't. Gosh, what a diff that
makes, eh? How about with a horizontal bar in fractions? No? Then what
are you yapping about? Go do your homework.

kt

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Stefan said:
Was that really necessary? RobG gave you the feedback you were
(apparently) asking for, and for what it's worth, his observations come
very close to what I've experienced on your website. If you don't want
feedback, why do you even post to cljs? With your previous posts in this
group, I used to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this response,
together with that "communists" remark about open source, makes me think
you're just trolling here.

Just look at his From header -- "His kennyness" -- he can't be serious.
After a decade of Usenet experience now, I have had to realize that healthy
mistrust (here: score automatically reduced by 1) is appropriate against
anyone not posting under their real name on Usenet. Subtract another 1
for Web posters (like from Google Groups), and filter out the address
mungers.

There are exceptions, like RobG, but they are few and far between.

HTH & F'up2 poster

PointedEars

Tim Down

Have you seen the code behind the math editor? Obviously a port to JS
would be worthwhile when there are no other problems to solve, or if the
round-trip itself turns out to be a show-stopper. But what I am sure you
have not considered is the typing speed of a student doing Algebra. I am
also sure that you believe "texting" from cell phones will never catch
on because it is so hard typing in the messages.

Keep up the good work.

kt

<what a bunch of losers>

That was a reasonable question, asked politely. You have responded
with yet more sneering. Did you actually want help or did you want an
argument?

Tim

Erwin Moller

His kennyness schreef:
Oh, right, the same browser on different OSes always works exactly the
same. Not a programmer, eh?

Richard not a programmer?
LOL. You are funny. :)

Try this:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=richard+cornford

Listen, his Kennyness, some free advice: Trying to insult Richard is
probably not the best way to motivate him to help you out.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare

His kennyness

His kennyness schreef:

Richard not a programmer?
LOL. You are funny. :)

Thx, that was indeed meant to a typically asinine and silly Usenet way
of mocking the idea that I only have to test, say FireFox, on one OS to
be sure it works on them all (or in this case to take a bug report on a
browser on one OS and test on another -- sure, one can do that to see if
it happens there, too, but if it does not then another round-trip will
be necessary to determine the OS so one can reproduce.

ie, of course I know nothing about the guy except that he does not know
what should go into a good bug report, and good programmers tend to know
that.

Ever hear the expression "The most dangerous gun is one that is
unloaded."? Richard knows the OS cannot have an effect on software
running on the OS. I hope he does better than the guy I knew who proved
the saying about the gun.

I get a kick out of the tv medical mystery "House". They frequently ask
themselves what they "know".

kt

His kennyness

That was a reasonable question, asked politely.

Yeah, that wa indeed one of the better ones. I think I got to it after
wading through a bunch of lesser efforts and was unfair.
You have responded
with yet more sneering. Did you actually want help or did you want an
argument?

Help? I thought I was sharing good news with javascript developers:
qooxdoo is a great library and a very effective way of programming RIAs.
ie, Ignore Mr. Mark and his lapdogs.

Lisp programmers get better news, a qooxdoo/Lisp integration involving a
silver bullet dataflow implementation called Cells.

http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/qooxlisp/
http://wiki.github.com/kennytilton/cells/

kt

Asen Bozhilov

His said:
You do not even know what my math editor does and are smart enough to
talk about it anyway? Will you be my friend? i could learn so
much....PWUAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAA!!!!!!

I always hate stupid people like you. cljs is strange place. Here come
different types of gurus and when they are denied they start to fill
comments like yours. I do not see any reasons for such a behavior. Are
you? cljs is probably the most valuable resource for javascript, but
with people like you in the near future will become at:

http://webdeveloper.com/
http://www.javascriptkit.com/cutpastejava.shtml

Go away and stop wasting our time with your brain problems!

Pascal Costanza

Kenny has a long history of displaying such behavior at comp.lang.lisp
as well. There is not much you can do about it, other than trying very
hard to ignore him. Good luck.

Pascal

Kenneth Tilton

Asen said:
I always hate stupid people like you.

It's good to have a steady policy on important issues.
cljs is strange place. Here come
different types of gurus ...

What I see, in all honesty, is a sad place where a few people with an
axe to grind over popular JS libraries sit around bullying anyone who
tries to discuss (or learn about or get help with) those projects.

What bullies cannot handle is someone who stands up to them, a pattern
repeated here.

kt

Kenneth Tilton

Andrew said:
I didn't actually believe the negative remarks about the popular JS
libraries until I had the temerity to use one in an elearning course I
was hired to build.

"What could the harm be, its not like I'm controlling a nuclear
reactor?", I thought.

Alas, while the actual building was fairly painless the reports from the
field started coming in about screen freezing, about data being lost,
about slowness and delays... None of which occurred during my testing
with the "major" browsers on the more common OS.

In fact I couldn't reproduce most of the issues. In the end I had to rip
out the library code and write my own and so now everything runs fine.

Right said:
So if you ask me about popular JS libraries my experience has been that
they were easy enough to work with but they caused endless, and unending
pain.

Who exactly do you think is the bully here? Surely its the person
throwing nasty comments at people who freely gave objective feedback,
ie. you are the bully.

Yes, I am bullying the bullies. That drives them nuts.

btw, "objective feedback"? PWAUUUAUAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAA!!!!!

Come on in, we need you: http://thelaughingstockatpngs.com/

kt