Alternatives for Fop?

Rob van der Putten

Hi there

Are there any alternatives for Fop that support Docbook?
I'm having problems with <screen> ... </screen>.
It's too wide, even though none of the screen dumps is wider than 80
chars.
Is there any way to tweak xsltproc or Fop in such a way that everything
gets neatly scaled and aligned?

Regards,
Rob

Paul A. Hoadley

Are there any alternatives for Fop that support Docbook?

The short answer is: yes. The longer answer starts with a question:
does the application need to be free? I use and recommend a
commercial product called XEP:

http://www.renderx.net/Content/tools/xep.html

There are other commercial products. Some of the formatters listed
here are free:

http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/DocBookPublishingTools

You can also use the DSSSL/OpenJade toolchain on XML source.
I'm having problems with <screen> ... </screen>. It's too wide,
even though none of the screen dumps is wider than 80 chars. Is
there any way to tweak xsltproc or Fop in such a way that everything
gets neatly scaled and aligned?

Post your query (with some source, and details on any customisation
layers) to the docbook-apps mailing list:

(e-mail address removed)-open.org

Rob van der Putten

Hi there

Paul A. Hoadley said:
The short answer is: yes. The longer answer starts with a question:
does the application need to be free? I use and recommend a
commercial product called XEP:

http://www.renderx.net/Content/tools/xep.html

There are other commercial products. Some of the formatters listed
here are free:

http://wiki.docbook.org/topic/DocBookPublishingTools

You can also use the DSSSL/OpenJade on XML source.

Which has other problems, so now I use a hybrid;
I wrote a little util wich converts de UTF-8 XML source into a US-ACII
SGML file with '' for non-ASCII.
I use xsltproc to generate html from XML and DSSSL/Jade to generate
postscript and PDF from SGML.
Post your query (with some source, and details on any customisation
layers) to the docbook-apps mailing list:

(e-mail address removed)-open.org

Google suggests that this is a old problem, zo I don't see the point.

Regards,
Rob