Alternatives to Windows Service?

Charles Rumbold

We have a .Net web form application using a SqlServer database. Part
of the app is/will be a background process that wakes up every so
often to do some things (say every 5 minutes to process a mail queue,
look at another data source to see if there is anything to do, etc).

The obvious thing is to write a WindowsService to do this. However
the application amy need to run in a hosted environment on a shared
server. In that case I doubt we will be able to install a service.
Are there any good alternatives?

Thanks,
Charles