AN Intorduction to Tkinter

flyingisfun1217

Hi,

I'm too lazy to retype my "problem", so here's the message I sent to
the py2exe mailing list (not quite the right place, but thankfully, I
was redirected here...)

I know that the most known tkinter intro guide at the time is "An
Intorduction to Tkinter" by Frederick Lundh, but after trying some of
the examples, I noticed that they did not work, and questioned what
version of tkinter it was written for. When I saw that it was written
(actually, copyrighted) in 1999, I figured that a new(er) version of
Tkinter had come out since then, changing how some of the code examples

work.

Does anybody know of a guide as comprehensive as this, but written for
one of the more recent Tkinter modules?

Thanks for your help!

Tanner

Fredrik Lundh

I know that the most known tkinter intro guide at the time is "An
Intorduction to Tkinter" by Frederick Lundh, but after trying some of
the examples, I noticed that they did not work

what examples are this ? are you sure it's not a problem with your IDE
rather than a problem with Tkinter ?

</F>

flyingisfun1217

Tis question was just asked on the py2exe mailing list. I predicted
that if it was asked here, you would respond asking exactly which
examples didn't work. :p

Right you were :)

Just want to learn what I already know as a great programming
interface(?)/language...

Tanner

John Machin

Right you were :)

Just want to learn what I already know as a great programming
interface(?)/language...

In that case, don't burn bandwith by banal banter, post the examples!

Mikael Olofsson

The following is the answer I gave on (e-mail address removed). Perhaps Fredrik can elaborate on the status of different versions of his excellent publication.

Tanner Ruschman wrote about "An Introduction to Tkinter" by Fredrik Lundh:

You probably mean

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

which is copyrighted 1999. There is also

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

which I think is the most recent version of it. It states that it is
last updated in November 2005.

HTH
/Mikael Olofsson

Universitetslektor (Senior Lecturer [BrE], Associate Professor [AmE])
Linköpings universitet

Fredrik Lundh

Mikael said:
You probably mean

http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/

which is copyrighted 1999. There is also

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

which I think is the most recent version of it. It states that it is
last updated in November 2005.

the samples in both editions works perfectly fine on all versions of
Python published since 1999 (afaik, most of the introductory samples are
identical in those versions; it's the reference pages that's been over-
hauled).

</F>

flyingisfun1217

Fredrik said:
the samples in both editions works perfectly fine on all versions of
Python published since 1999 (afaik, most of the introductory samples are
identical in those versions; it's the reference pages that's been over-
hauled).

</F>

Ok, again, thanks for the help, I'm somewhat new to python, along with
Tkinter.

If anybody has some really good sites with examples of Tkinter programs
and stuff, please share :)

Tanner

ps: who keeps giving out the bad reviews to posts?

jmdeschamps

If anybody has some really good sites with examples of Tkinter programs
and stuff, please share :)

You should really pay attention to people's reply to your questions if
you want help ;-)

In this case meaning, that you should show what type of problem you are
getting.

Since the examples out of An Introduction to Tkinter work, what else
could be useful to you is hard to guess.

jean-marc

flyingisfun1217

Since the examples out of An Introduction to Tkinter work, what else
could be useful to you is hard to guess.

Basically, any kind of program using Tkinter, and has some sort of
usefulness

btw, I DO look at signatures believe it or not, and already (as in
before I even read this post) I have come across a very good site :)

Tanner

Fredrik Lundh

Basically, any kind of program using Tkinter, and has some sort of
usefulness

you don't seem to have noticed, but you *still* haven't explained what
examples you tried, and *how* they failed on your machine.

</F>

flyingisfun1217

Sorry about that.

As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules. Sorry about misleading you.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you'll hear from me soon again. In
fact...

FlyingIsFun1217

Fredrik Lundh

As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules.

as in ?

you've posted five posts to this thread, but you still haven't provided
us with more clues than "I noticed they didn't work" and "I think it's
something with some module". don't you think it would be easier to help
you if you actually explained what you did, what you expected to happen,
and what happened instead ?

</F>

Steve Holden

Fredrik said:
as in ?

you've posted five posts to this thread, but you still haven't provided
us with more clues than "I noticed they didn't work" and "I think it's
something with some module". don't you think it would be easier to help
you if you actually explained what you did, what you expected to happen,
and what happened instead ?

</F>
Can the effbot really have been taken in by a troll? Or does the troll
not realise it's a troll?

regards
Steve

Fuzzyman

Sorry about that.

As far as I can tell, its not anything to do with your code. I think
its something with tkinter modules. Sorry about misleading you.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure you'll hear from me soon again. In
fact...

Unless you post the following, no-one is able to help you :

* Which examples you have a problem with
* What code you actually ran (and how you ran it - inside IDLE, at the
command line)
* What went wrong, or the full traceback of the error

For what it's worth, I've found the following resources useful for
Tkinter :

http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/index.html
http://www.python.org/doc/life-preserver/
http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/