ANN: curses-extra 0.2

Riccardo Galli

First official release :)

curses-extra offers various widgets wrotten using curses module.

In the module are presents the following classes and functions

Widget
Button
ButtonBar #bar of buttons (manage automatically arrow keys)
CheckButton
RadioButton
CheckButtonList #list of checkbutton (as ButtonBar)
ComboBox
Menu
MenuBar

add_shortcut(pattern,action) #check combinations of keys, eg <ctrl>H
use_shortcut(c,obj) #check if character is a shortcut, use it in case
#NOTE: widgets auto-check shortcuts

chgat(win[,y,x],count,attr,color) #change attributes of an area

You can find it at
http://www.sideralis.net/index.php?action=4&pjid=20

Suggestions about API or widgets' graphic are appreciated

Thanks,
Riccardo

--
-=Riccardo Galli=-

_,e.
s~ ``
~@. ideralis Programs
.. ol
`**~ http://www.sideralis.net

David Fraser

Riccardo said:
[...]

Riccardo, this looks fantastic!
I wonder if it would be a good idea to look at some of the Python GUI
wrappers that wrap multiple different GUIs.
PyGui is the main one:
http://nz.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/
and recently I saw this:
http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/twgui/

If you can have those approaches in mind when you design your API it may
be possible to add curses-extra, so that an application can use a
text-based GUI as an alternative!

David

Riccardo Galli

Riccardo said:
First official release :)

curses-extra offers various widgets written using curses module.
[...]
Riccardo, this looks fantastic!
I wonder if it would be a good idea to look at some of the Python GUI
wrappers that wrap multiple different GUIs.
PyGui is the main one:
http://nz.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python_gui/
and recently I saw this:
http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~sxanth/twgui/

If you can have those approaches in mind when you design your API it may
be possible to add curses-extra, so that an application can use a
text-based GUI as an alternative!

David

Thanks David,
I'll look for the two projects, and I'll try to add the widgets or the
options still not present.
It would be so nice to have universal GUIs.

Thank you again,
Riccardo

--
-=Riccardo Galli=-

_,e.
s~ ``
~@. ideralis Programs
.. ol
`**~ http://www.sideralis.net

Michele Simionato

Riccardo Galli said:
First official release :)

curses-extra offers various widgets wrotten using curses module.

I always wanted something like that!
I wish I had the time to try it out ...
Question: would it be very difficult to run it on Windows using the F-bot console
module as a curses replacement?

Michele Simionato

Riccardo Galli

I always wanted something like that!
I wish I had the time to try it out ...
Question: would it be very difficult to run it on Windows using the F-bot console
module as a curses replacement?

Michele Simionato

I really don't know.
In first place because I can't find info about F-bot. What should I search
for?
Do you (or others) know what is the best module available for console
graphic in DOS ?

--
-=Riccardo Galli=-

_,e.
s~ ``
~@. ideralis Programs
.. ol
`**~ http://www.sideralis.net

Jeff Epler

In first place because I can't find info about F-bot. What should I search
for?

I found it because I happened to know it was spelled "effbot":

http://effbot.org/zone/console-index.htm
Do you (or others) know what is the best module available for console
graphic in DOS ?

Nope. Wouldn't touch it with a pole of arbitrary length.

Jeff

Cliff Wells

Do you (or others) know what is the best module available for console
graphic in DOS ?

It's been years since I've looked at it, but DJGPP had DOS console graphics
support that worked well (at the time).

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

I don't know if Python compiles with that compiler (I would expect so),
but if it does, then I imagine this might be a starting point (if you
were able to wrap the graphics library for Python).

Seems like a lot of work for that platform though.

Regards,
Cliff

Rob Schmersel

Riccardo said:
I really don't know.
In first place because I can't find info about F-bot. What should I search
for?
Do you (or others) know what is the best module available for console
graphic in DOS ?
Well, there is a port of PD curses available (wincurses), but that one
seems hard to get nowadays.
Alternatively you can try: http://flangy.com/dev/python/curses/

/Rob

Michele Simionato

Riccardo Galli said:
Do you (or others) know what is the best module available for console
graphic in DOS ?

No, however in a another thread Erik Max Francis pointed out the existence
of curses for Windows: http://flangy.com/dev/python/curses/

I have a linux question anyway: what's the terminal where you tested
curses_extra.py? It looks very different in xterm and Konsole (in the
version of Konsole I have on Mandrake 10.0 it does not look even right).
I did not expect such big differences; on xterm I do not see the underlined
chars in the menus, for instance.

Michele

Riccardo Galli

No, however in a another thread Erik Max Francis pointed out the existence
of curses for Windows: http://flangy.com/dev/python/curses/

For all the answerers: I'll check these modules or library.
Tnx.
I have a linux question anyway: what's the terminal where you tested
curses_extra.py? It looks very different in xterm and Konsole (in the
version of Konsole I have on Mandrake 10.0 it does not look even right).
I did not expect such big differences; on xterm I do not see the underlined
chars in the menus, for instance.

Michele

I have tested under Eterm and gnome-terminal.
On xterm the difference is on the colors, and it does not belong to my
module (I think), and yes, I don't see too the underlined letters. This is
a bug, and I'll find a way to correct this behaviour.

I can't try it on Konsole, but I'll search for a solution different from
installing kde(!) (dunno, maybe I'll try knoppix).

(I noticed also an ugly cursor on buttons, I'll fix that).

Grazie,
Riccardo

--
-=Riccardo Galli=-