Ann: Google releases Python-based open-source NX server

J Kenneth King

jkn said:
Google quietly releases open-source NX server ...written in Python,
apparently

<http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9135504/
Google_quietly_releases_open_source_NX_server?taxonomyId=88>

Neatx can be downloaded from Google's code repository:

<http://code.google.com/p/neatx/>

Regards
J^n

It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
source off of another smaller proprietary project. Makes me sad seeing
Google, proud supporter of all things Python, release non-PEP8 code.

Either way, I did check out the project and it looks pretty exciting.
Hopefully I'll get some time to contribute a few patches.

jkn

It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
source off of another smaller proprietary project.  Makes me sad seeing
Google, proud supporter of all things Python, release non-PEP8 code.

Personally, I don't follow PEP8 either. Note: PEP-8 gives 'coding
conventions for the Python code **comprising the standard library in
the main Python distribution**' (my emphasis). My coding conventions
are similar to, but not exactly the same as, PEP-8. It would be
ridiculous IMO (and PEP-8 acknowledges this) for such a permissive
language as Python to put a 'coding style' straitjacket around itself.

YMMV, of course.

J^n

Emile van Sebille

On 7/16/2009 10:59 AM jkn said...
Personally, I don't follow PEP8 either. Note: PEP-8 gives 'coding
conventions for the Python code **comprising the standard library in
the main Python distribution**' (my emphasis). My coding conventions
are similar to, but not exactly the same as, PEP-8.

Mine too, and my objection to PEP-8 is that the coding style doesn't
allow for copy-n-paste into the interpreter, and I like to be able to
test that way. Perhaps if I configured my editor not to strip trailing
whitespace from lines it would work, but then I don't like trailing
whitespace.

Of course, I _like_ leading whitespace. :)

Emile

Robert Kern

It's pretty cool, but not PEP8! Probably because they just bought the
source off of another smaller proprietary project.

No, it' just that Google does not use PEP8 for its internal style standard.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco