[ANN] isolate 2.0.1 Released

John Barnette

isolate version 2.0.1 has been released!

* <http://github.com/jbarnette/isolate>

Isolate is a very simple RubyGems sandbox. It provides a way to
express and automatically install your project's Gem dependencies.

Changes:

### 2.0.1 / 2010-05-24

* Fine, fine. Re-enable support for Ruby 1.8.6.
* Make deprecated Isolate.gems more compatible with 1.x. [Eric Wong]

### 2.0.0 / 2010-05-10

* Rewrite README and RDoc.
* Deprecate `Isolate.gems` and `Isolate.instance`.
* Add Isolate::Event hooks for better extension/integration.
* Add ISOLATED env var when Isolate is activated.
* Teach the Hoe plugin to recognize Isolate files.
* Add `env` as an alias for `environment`.
* Significantly refactor API and internals.
* Add .local files for overriding global and gem args and options.
* Segregate isolated gems by Ruby engine and version.
* Make sure it's possible to install a local .gem file.
* Make additive ENV changes idempotent. [Eric Wong]
* Isolate is a module now, not a class.
* Use tmp/isolate as the default, replacing tmp/gems.
* Allow options changes in Isolate files or blocks.
* Make entries additive. Multiple calls to Isolate#gem is fine.
* Lock down required Ruby and RubyGems versions (1.8.7+, 1.3.6+).

Intransition

isolate version 2.0.1 has been released!

* <http://github.com/jbarnette/isolate>

Isolate is a very simple RubyGems sandbox. It provides a way to
express and automatically install your project's Gem dependencies.

An interesting project, I think, in light to Bundler. Basically it
seems like you refined the idea of Bundler down to it's essential
usage as an "isolator", and got rid of the other features. The one
exception perhaps being dependency resolution. But I like your "Not
Gonna Happen" takes:

* Dependency resolution. If this ever becomes a serious problem
for us, we=92ll likely push hard to solve it in RubyGems proper. If you
run into these sorts of problems a lot, use Bundler. Or less
libraries.
* Autorequire. Unlike config.gems or other solutions, Isolate
expects you to be a good little Rubyist and manually require the
libraries you use.
* Support for Git or other SCMs. You=92re welcome to write an
extension that supports =91em, but Isolate itself is focused on
packaged, released gems.

I have to agree. RubyGems proper should probably be in charge of
dependency resolution. The autorequire feature of RubyGems itself has
always been a bad idea (IMO). And really, doesn't one our SCMs provide
tools for vendoring? Why would Bundler need to do it?

The one thing that strikes me though. Your Isolate file format is so
close to Bundler's Gemfile, I'm not sure there's any reason to name it
something else. All you have to do is support `group` as another term
for `env` and then Isolate's file should be a full subset of Gemfile.
You might even make isolate handle unused aspects of Bundler's
Gemfile's spec gracefully, then anyone can use Isolate who also uses
Bundler.

Johan Gustav

Thomas said:
An interesting project, I think, in light to Bundler. Basically it
seems like you refined the idea of Bundler down to it's essential
usage as an "isolator", and got rid of the other features. The one
exception perhaps being dependency resolution. But I like your "Not
Gonna Happen" takes:

* Dependency resolution. If this ever becomes a serious problem
for us, we�ll likely push hard to solve it in RubyGems proper. If you
run into these sorts of problems a lot, use Bundler. Or less
libraries.
* Autorequire. Unlike config.gems or other solutions, Isolate
expects you to be a good little Rubyist and manually require the
libraries you use.
* Support for Git or other SCMs. You�re welcome to write an
extension that supports �em, but Isolate itself is focused on
packaged, released gems.

I have to agree. RubyGems proper should probably be in charge of
dependency resolution. The autorequire feature of RubyGems itself has
always been a bad idea (IMO). And really, doesn't one our SCMs provide
tools for vendoring? Why would Bundler need to do it?

The one thing that strikes me though. Your Isolate file format is so
close to Bundler's Gemfile, I'm not sure there's any reason to name it
something else. All you have to do is support `group` as another term
for `env` and then Isolate's file should be a full subset of Gemfile.
You might even make isolate handle unused aspects of Bundler's
Gemfile's spec gracefully, then anyone can use Isolate who also uses
Bundler.

Hi, I have not been using rails for quite some time (Rails3 was still
beta back then). I did not have any problems with rails but bundler gave
me all this strange error messages and now I feel a bit uncomfortable
about start using it again.

My question is if bundler matured much during the last 4-6 month and if
Isolate are still being developed as an alternative.

Should be interested in your experiences if you used them both.

(don't know if this is the right place to post this)

thanks

I don't know if this is the right place to ask