[ANN] johnson 1.2.0 Released

John Barnette

johnson version 1.2.0 has been released!

* <http://github.com/jbarnette/johnson>
* <http://groups.google.com/group/johnson-talk>

Johnson wraps JavaScript in a loving Ruby embrace. It embeds the
Mozilla SpiderMonkey JavaScript runtime as a C extension. This release
squashes many, many bugs and segfaults.

Changes:

### 1.2.0 / 2010-01-25

* Add an API for registering custom conversions.
* Subclass Runtime, don't delegate.
* Make builds a bit more robust, especially on Snow Leopard.
* Handle UTF-8 conversion better. Also, treat JS strings as UTF-16.
* Add small bits of API doco.
* Plug tons of root leaks.
* Make Function.prototype.apply handle Ruby arrays.
* Remove Rails EJS support, it was a joke to begin with.
* Whitespace, formatting, and organization cleanups.

James Herdman

Automated JavaScript testing through existing Ruby interfaces, e.g. RSpec.

James

Steven Parkes

Automated JavaScript testing through existing Ruby interfaces, e.g. =
RSpec.
=20
James
=20

blue-ridge is an example. It's a packing of a several projects that =
provides an rspec-like environment for JS. It currently uses Rhino, the =
Java JS interpreter, but there are efforts underway to make it work with =
Johnson/SpiderMoneky. That will require the next version of Johnson, =
tentatively, 2.0.0, but that's been under development for quite some =
time so there should be a prereleases of it before too long.

I do a lot of JS testing, using Johnson and other dependent gems. =
There's the env-js project and the envjs gem that provide a browser =
environment, e.g., a window object, based on Johnson. Then there's jazrb =
which combines the Jasmine (rspec-like) BDD framework with envjs. =
jslintrb is a Johnson-based ruby driver for Crockford's jslint. And I =
have a bastardized version of watchr that provides autotest-like =
environment for jazrb and jslint ... (and haml and sass ...)

FWIW, none of this is integrated with Rails at this point ...=