[ANN] Korundum 3.3.1 beta

Richard Dale

Download:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/

Release notes:
This is the first release of the Korundum Qt/KDE ruby bindings on Rubyforge.
They are a superset of the Qt-only QtRuby bindings, and include very
complete coverage of the KDE classes, along with KDE-specific features such
as DCOP.

Build instructions:

$ make -f Makefile.cvs
$ ./configure --with-qt-dir=<your qt directory> --prefix=<you kde install
directory>
$ make
$ make install

A description of QtRuby and Korundum features can be found here:
http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/

Feedback welcome on ruby-talk or on the (e-mail address removed) mailing list.

-- Richard

vruz

What's the minimum KDE version required ?

(I loved the previous qtruby version with rbuic and all, I love
getting all the KDE toys on top even more !!)

keep up with the great work !!

Richard Dale

vruz said:
What's the minimum KDE version required ?

(I loved the previous qtruby version with rbuic and all, I love
getting all the KDE toys on top even more !!)

keep up with the great work !!
Thanks! I've tested building with Qt 3.3.x and KDE 3.3, but it should work
fine with KDE 3.2.x too. There is a configure check for Qt 3.3.x, but apart
from that it would work with earlier Qt versions. As long as
automake/autoconf work it's easy to build, but when they go wrong or need
changing they're so complicated it's very difficult to fix :(

I don't know much about packaging methods such as rpm, gems etc, but it
would be nice to have a binary ready built packages on Rubyforge too. If
anyone knows how to do that sort of thing, some help would be very welcome.
I have a PowerPC machine and so I can build binaries for that arch, but not
Intel.

-- Richard

vruz

Do we have QWidgetFactory in the new release ?
The Qt 3.3 docs mention something about some headers needed, this is
powerful stuff, It'd be nice to have.
http://doc.trolltech.com/3.3/qwidgetfactory.html

I would like to do something like the following, but in ruby:
void MainForm::creditDialog()
{
QDialog *creditForm = (QDialog *)
QWidgetFactory::create( "../credit/creditformbase.ui" );
// Set up the dynamic dialog here

if ( creditForm->exec() ) {
// The user accepted, act accordingly
QSpinBox *amount = (QSpinBox *) creditForm->child(
"amountSpinBox", "QSpinBox" );
if ( amount )
ratingTextLabel->setText( amount->text() );
}
delete creditForm;

cheers !

Richard Dale

vruz said:
Do we have QWidgetFactory in the new release ?
No, not for this release. I did work out how to use QWidgetFactory with
QtRuby, but I thought it was more trouble than it was worth. Perhaps that
was wrong, but it seemed more powerful to read in some ruby code at runtime
for a UI, generated by the rbuic tool, than read some xml in a .ui file.

vruz

Do we have QWidgetFactory in the new release ?
No, not for this release. I did work out how to use QWidgetFactory with
QtRuby, but I thought it was more trouble than it was worth. Perhaps that
was wrong, but it seemed more powerful to read in some ruby code at runtime
for a UI, generated by the rbuic tool, than read some xml in a .ui file.

That's okay, most applications will do fine with rbuic, and it's not
hard to implement the missing functionality in ruby, the source
generated by rbuic can be generated in runtime and run by ruby anyway,
given its dynamic nature.
Even better, I could write my own wrapper, so that I can load the xml
code from any stream (be it a file, a socket or an http connection)

thanks !