[ANN] pyOpenSSL 0.14

exarkun

Greetings fellow Pythoneers,

I'm happy to announce that pyOpenSSL 0.14 is now available.

pyOpenSSL is a set of Python bindings for OpenSSL. It includes some
low-level cryptography APIs but is primarily focused on providing an API
for using the TLS protocol from Python.

Check out the PyPI page (<https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyOpenSSL>) for
downloads.

This release of pyOpenSSL adds:

* Support for TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2

* First-class support for PyPy

* New flags, such as MODE_RELEASE_BUFFERS and OP_NO_COMPRESSION

* Some APIs to access to the SSL session cache

* A variety of bug fixes for error handling cases

Additionally, there are three major changes to the project:

First, the documentation has been converted from LaTeX (CPython's
previous documentation system) to Sphinx (CPython's "new" documentation
system ;). You can find the new documentation on the PyPI documentation
site (<https://pythonhosted.org/pyOpenSSL/>) or
<https://pyopenssl.readthedocs.org/>).

Second, pyOpenSSL is no longer implemented in C as a collection of
extension modules using the Python/C API. Instead, pyOpenSSL is now a
pure-Python project with a dependency on a new project, cryptography
(<https://github.com/pyca/cryptography>), which provides (among other
things) a cffi-based interface to OpenSSL.

This change means that pyOpenSSL development is now more accessible to
Python programmers with little or no experience with C. This is also how
pyOpenSSL is now able to support PyPy.

Finally, the project's code hosting has moved from Launchpad to Github.
Many branches remain only on Launchpad along with their associated bug
reports. Over the coming releases I hope that the fixes and features in
these branches will be ported to Python and incorporated into the
pyOpenSSL master development branch. Bug tracking has been disabled on
Launchpad so that the amount of useful information hosted there can
gradually dwindle to nothing. Please use Github
(<https://github.com/pyca/pyopenssl>) for further development and bug
reporting.

Thanks and enjoy,
Jean-Paul