[ANN] Rant 0.3.8

Stefan Lang

Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
similar to Rake.

=3D=3D What's new in this release?

* Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
* Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
* Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
* rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.

I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

=3D=3D Installing Rant

You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
=A0 =A0 % gem install --remote rant

or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=
=3D615)
and install with install.rb:
=A0 =A0 % ruby install.rb

=3D=3D More about Rant

The equivalent to a Makefile for make is the Rantfile. An
Rantfile is actually a valid Ruby script that is read by the
rant command.

Rant currently features:
* Defining custom tasks
* Automated packaging, testing and RDoc generation for Ruby
=A0 applications and libraries.
* Primitive support for compiling C# sources portably with csc, cscc
=A0 and mcs.
* Dependency checking for C/C++ source files.
* Multiple buildfiles (e.g. one per directory).
* The rant-import command creates a monolithic rant script,
=A0 so you don't depend on an rant installation anymore.
* A configure plugin for easy environment and build-parameter
=A0 checking (but not like autoconf!) which saves data in a yaml file.

=3D=3D Resources

Current docs:: http://make.ruby-co.de
(BTW: Thanks to Jan Krueger for the nice URL :)
Rubyforge page:: http://rubyforge.org/projects/make/

=2D-=20
Stefan

ES

Stefan said:
Rant is a flexible build tool written entirely in Ruby,
similar to Rake.

Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.
== What's new in this release?

* Dependency checking for C/C++ sources.
* Installing ".cmd" files on Windows with the Win32::RubyCmdWrapper.
* Convenient directory/file creation with SubFile.
* rant-import inlines specially marked, +require+ files.

I'd appreciate suggestions about new features, names, etc.

Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)
== Installing Rant

You can install Rant as a RubyGem:
% gem install --remote rant

or download the package from RubyForge(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=615)
and install with install.rb:
% ruby install.rb

[...]

Joao Pedrosa

Oi,

=20
Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

I've only experimented with Rant yet, but I like it.=20
=20
Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)

I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
language. Let me think about three naming options:
- Anter
- Antest
- Rmk - Ruby Make
- Rbmk
- Mir - Make in Ruby
- Mirb

Cheers,
Joao

ES

Joao said:
Oi,

I've only experimented with Rant yet, but I like it.

I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
language. Let me think about three naming options:
- Anter
- Antest
- Rmk - Ruby Make
- Rbmk
- Mir - Make in Ruby
- Mirb

Hehe, maybe Numbat[1]?
Cheers,
Joao

[1] http://australian-animals.net/numbat.htm

Joao Pedrosa

Hi,
I second this one. It does sound weird to me. Rant is much closer to
perfection than Ant could ever be, as the creator of Ant himself
thinks that the XML of Ant wasn't meant to be a full blown scripting
language. Let me think about three naming options:
- Anter
- Antest
- Rmk - Ruby Make
- Rbmk
- Mir - Make in Ruby
- Mirb
=20
Hehe, maybe Numbat[1]?

Sounds great. Here is a south american one:

Giant Anteater: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfacts/factfiles/591.shtml

Cheers,
Joao

Stefan Lang

Thanks for the excellent tool! Rant has, at this point, completely
replaced Rake for my needs. Keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback!

[...]
Is Rant up for discussion? It has absolutely no relation to *shudder*
Ant, after all. Maybe you could call it Wombat or something :)

It would take some time to rename Rant, but if you can come up with
something really good, yes.
Didn't know about "wombats" before, interesting animals...

Stefan

Ara.T.Howard

[...]

this looks very cool. can you compare/contrast this with rake?

cheers.

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
| that they pass away. --aitken roshi

Ara.T.Howard

(e-mail address removed) ha scritto:

look here for a previous explanation
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/135299

thank you!

-a
| phone :: 303.497.6469
| renunciation is not getting rid of the things of this world, but accepting
| that they pass away. --aitken roshi

Jay Levitt

It would take some time to rename Rant, but if you can come up with
something really good, yes.
Didn't know about "wombats" before, interesting animals...

Wombat was one of the first computer games ever...

Stefan Lang

(e-mail address removed) ha scritto:

look here for a previous explanation
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/135299

This was especially in the early days of Rant. It got a bunch
of new features since then. Amongst them:
* Useful for bigger projects: You can have more than one
buildfile for your project, e.g. one per directory
(no need for things like "recursive make").
* As already noted, Rant can determine dependencies between C/C++
source files.
* Automatic cleanup of generated files.

All (I hope!) features are documented, read http://make.ruby-co.de.

Stefan