[ANN] Red: The Ruby Journal, a professional periodical for Ruby developers

ruby.journal

I am pleased to pre-announce the launch of a new, professional
periodical focused exclusively on Ruby.

The journal, tentatively titled "Red," will be published monthly and
will be distributed internationally as a stylish, high-quality, 60-
page PDF. Each month, Red will focus on boosting the skills and
productivity of all Ruby programmers -- from novices to gurus --
providing pragmatic, practical, insightful, hands-on, and diverse
advice and expertise.

Contributors will be paid for material accepted and published in the
journal. Like other journals, all material will be vetted by peers
and experts prior to publication.

Feature-length stories (4,000 words) earn $500.00.

Column-length stories (2,500 words) earn $350.

In addition to three features each month, Red will also include five-
six regular monthly columns that appear in every issue, news, updates
on software releases, community happenings, user group meetings, op-
ed, and reviews and examples of Ruby packages.

Red will also include a "Marketplace" section where ISPs, developers,
designers, and organizations can advertise jobs, services, skills,
conferences, books, training, and products.

The advertising rate is $2,000 per page. Half-page, quarter-page,
third-page and one-eighth-page ads are available at a pro-rated fee.
Classified ads of 100 words or less are $50.00.

Annual subscriptions to Red will be $60.

If you're interested in...

... Subscribing

... Becoming a regular columnist

... Writing feature- or column-length stories

... Submitting your work for consideration

... Providing guidance and ideas for stories and coverage

... Advertising, or

... Just want more information

... please send email to (e-mail address removed) to receive updates,
schedules, writer guidelines, and news as the editorial plan, web
site, and design of the journal take shape.

I look forward to your questions, ideas, readership, and
participation in furthering the gem called Ruby.

M. Samuel "Flywheel" Streicher

Flywheel, Gadget, and Sprocket Media

Email: (e-mail address removed)

AIM: samuelflywheel

Bill Guindon

[...]

Ok, 10 points for the most ambitious 1st post I've ever seen on any
mailing list (could explain the lack of replies).

Couple thoughts...

It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

There are a couple of regular posts that deserve recognition. I'd
love to hear that some/all of them are already in the plan, but if
they're not, they deserve to be considered (in no particular order):

Tim Sutherland has done an incredible job with his 'Ruby Weekly News',
and I've long thought that he should expand it a bit, and make it a
magazine.

James Edward Gray II runs the 'Ruby Quiz' weekly, and that should also
be a regular feature. There's a book coming out, but it would be
great if his summaries ran regularly.

Hal Fulton's been maintaining/posting the list FAQ for quite some
time. It should also be included on a regular basis.

I'm sure I've missed some, but those three stand out in my mind.

Lyndon Samson

Yep, and perhaps a 'letters to why?' column... you could call it=20
"a".upto("y") :)

Bill Guindon

Yep, and perhaps a 'letters to why?' column... you could call it
"a".upto("y") :)

Good point, if they announced "Dear _why" in the initial post, they'd
probably end up over-subscribed: "I'm sorry folks, there's no way we
can produce that many PDFs in one week". Which, of course, would lead
to a side job for Austin Ziegler.

Jim

If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
"Red"?

Hal Fulton

Jim said:
If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
"Red"?

It's fairly inconceivable that it could become their property if
they reject it (i.e., paid nothing for it). Any periodical that tried
that would quickly run out of authors.

Hal

James Britt

Jim said:
If someone submits an article and it is rejected, can the author shop
it around to other publications, or does it become the property of
"Red"?

Of course. You own it unless you are paid for it or have some other
binding agreement. (And you should also ask about ownership/reprint
rights so that you can control your work even after publication. For
example, Linux Journal, which in my experience pays more than 'Red' is
offering, also allows the offer to reprint/resell the work 30 days, I
think, after print publication. Ruby Code & Style offers the same
reprint/resale rights.)

The more typical case is when work gets submitted to a publication, but
the author is never told what will be done with it and the piece goes
into limbo. It's sort of rude to submit a work to multiple places at
the same time, though no one likes to be left dangling; the best is to
make clear up front what you expect: tell the editor that the work will
be offered to other outlets if it is not accepted and published by some
date or some publication & payment contract is arranged.

You're the author. You should be in charge.

James Britt

http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

pat eyler

It's fairly inconceivable that it could become their property if
they reject it (i.e., paid nothing for it). Any periodical that tried
that would quickly run out of authors.

You would think so, but that's certainly how the Redhat magazine
agreement looks on first glance. It was scary enough that I didn't
even think about submitting anything.

HAL

"Red Dawn"

--- Garance A Drosehn said:
published monthly and ...
=20
=20
RedJewels
=20
--
Garance Alistair Drosehn =3D =20
(e-mail address removed)

=09
__________________________________=20
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_3503_5673018.1131769114536

The Big Red One ????

... nah, personally I really like "Red" ...

j.

The Hunt For Red *insert current month here*

--
"Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"

Jeff Wood

------=_Part_3503_5673018.1131769114536--

Joel VanderWerf

Bill said:
It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

Perl has the State of the Onion(*). How about "Red State" ;)

(Apologies to the rest of the world for the non-portable attempt at humor.)

--

(*) On the subject of choosing names, Larry Wall sez:

Some of you have heard the part about my looking for a good name for
Perl, and scanning through /usr/dict/words for every three- and
four-letter word with positive connotations. Though offhand, I can't
explain how I missed seeing Ruby. So anyway, I ended up with "Pearl"
instead. (http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/09/22/onion.html?page=3)

ruby.journal

Jim, that is a very fair question. I'll also weigh in on the
disposition of rights in general.

If you submit an article and it is not accepted, then you are free to
do whatever you want with it.

Typically, when an (original) article is accepted in a magazine, the
author grants first serial rights to the magazine or grants all
rights to the magazine. The terms differ from publication to
publication, with some being quite draconian ("It's our from now on,
now go away") to quite liberal (as with IBM's developerWorks, which
returns the rights to you thirty days after initial publication).

For Red, I would like an exclusive for some amount of time, perhaps
three months, and perennial, non-exclusive rights to re-use the
material online, in compilations of Red, etc. After the exclusive
period ends, you can do whatever you would like with the material,
provided that a notice is included that states, "First published in
Red (http://www.redsomething.com) on some date, etc."

This allows you to write books, post it online in your blog, do
training with it, whatever, and allows Red the freedom to propagate
it as well. The attribution gives Red credit for commissioning the
piece to begin with.

I think these rules are fair, comprehend the modern day needs of
authors to get recognition and derive extra value from their work,
and support the business goals of Red.

Sam

pat eyler

It needs a better name, but that's just me. Of course, if you ask for
suggestions, I'm sure you'll get some killer ideas.

How about 'Red Letter'? (If for no other reason that every time
you get your copy, it will be a red letter day.)

ruby.journal

I really like "Red Letter". It has a nice twisted, compelling
something about it.

I'll mull it over. Any other ideas?

Sam