[ANN] Redesign 2005, Round Two

David A. Black

Hi --

Fun!"?,

Or how about "Ruby: Rediscover the Joy of Programming"

In general, I don't think slogans should tell people that what they've
been doing until now is bad, joyless, not fun, etc. That's kind of
hostile.

David

James Britt

David said:
In general, I don't think slogans should tell people that what they've
been doing until now is bad, joyless, not fun, etc. That's kind of
hostile.

Big agreement. Advocacy works best when it avoids put-downs and
comparisons (e.g. faster, better, more fun).

Say what Ruby is, not what other things are not.

James

gabriele renzi

Christian Neukirchen ha scritto:
gabriele renzi wrote:

Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it
would be great to come up with some nice images to put on our own
websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something
like "Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on
the lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

This one has graphical problems and I know of them, but perhaps
somebody from the VI-Team would be able to take the idea and rework it
consistently into the style of the current gem graphic. I'm not sure
what the exacts requirements for being considered a "Ruby Hacker"
would be (do we need them at all?) but chris2 seems to have suggested
that being in the change log or not might be one.

That was not referring to "Ruby Hacker", but to "Ruby Core
Contributor", which Gabriele proposed. Those are not mutually
exclusive, of course.

Still, I'd probably not set up any requirements at all... if one
claims he's a Ruby Hacker, but didn't write a single line of code yet,
so what?

my exact thought, thanks for making it clear :)

Ilias Lazaridis

Nikolai said:
Ilias Lazaridis, May 11:
Simply open an new thread, [SLOGAN] ..., and ask the community to post
a slogan.
Then collect the results on a wiki-page, thus anyone can review for
some time.

please note:

The new [slogan] will not [be] selected by democracy (vote).

It results out of research, reasoning and rationality.

Or?,

yes.

[marketing-]research, [marketing-]reasoning, [marketing-]rationality.

but: every community-member can present a slogan together with the right
unbeatable rationales.

[of course things are not as easy as with the "singleton class" to "x
class" rename, where a nearly absolute result can be expected.]

For the slogan, people should work-out the "requirements" first, like
"should imply simplicity" "should imply efficiecy" etc.

And of course: the main topic of _this_ thread is the design, not the
slogan.

So its not nice to write to much about the slogan, as the designers
expect feedback to the design, which they must 'fish out' of the many
off-topics, including mine which I finalize now.

..

Paul Battley

Paul Battley, May 11:
=20
=20
No, no. The indefinite is definitely the way to go,

I hadn't noticed the "diamonds are a girl's best friend" parallel up
until now. Now that it has been pointed out, however, I agree with
you: it should be the indefinite article.

Paul.

benny

gabriele said:
Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be
great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like
"Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the
lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

[1]
http://www.mono-project.com/files/9/9f/Mono-contributor-static.gif

Since we are alluding to songs ("best friend") how about
"Ruby Soul" or "I'm a Ruby Soul" (=> Rubber Soul)

benny

Austin Ziegler

James Britt said:
BTW, I'm no expert on gems. I'm just going on what I've seen by googling
the topic. I would be thrilled if someone pointed out that Rubies do
actually occur in that shape.

I have a friend who is a jeweller. She has told me that the diamond
cut is the most common cut, followed by the square cut.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

why the lucky stiff

Austin said:
I have a friend who is a jeweller. She has told me that the diamond
cut is the most common cut, followed by the square cut.

One more question for your jeweller friend, as I don't have one of my
own yet.

Which is: Would she recommend the Schneider loupe? I would like to
appraise some of my favorite source code and this feels like the right
way to do it. I am open to a Rodenstock of course (of course, of
course) but be warned that I find some magnifications completely
harrowing. I'm embarassed to say that I've never been past 4x. :blush
pudding: I've really no idea what is down there.

_why