[ANN] Redesign 2005, Round Two

why the lucky stiff

I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:

http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/

We hope you will comment on the blog itself rather than here on
Ruby-Talk, in order that our team doesn't loose what you say in an
impending ocean.

With a paraffin banjo on my knee,

_why

gabriele renzi

why the lucky stiff ha scritto:
I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:

http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/

We hope you will comment on the blog itself rather than here on
Ruby-Talk, in order that our team doesn't loose what you say in an
impending ocean.

With a paraffin banjo on my knee,

_why

I responde here and not on the blog since this message is not really
related to the Redesign, but more to VIT in general.

Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be
great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like
"Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the
lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

[1]
http://www.mono-project.com/files/9/9f/Mono-contributor-static.gif

pat eyler

I responde here and not on the blog since this message is not really
related to the Redesign, but more to VIT in general.
=20
Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be
great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like
"Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the
lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

I think that's a great idea. I'd also like to see a logo usable by Ruby=20
Brigades as well.

--=20
thanks,
-pate

James Britt

gabriele said:
Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon,

How do you know that?

I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
anyone would really know that.

And I really hope to steer clear of any sort of "official" Ruby logo.

James

Ilias Lazaridis

why said:
I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:

http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/

The design looks much better than the existing one, and should replace
it ther earliest possible.

you should post a link to demo-publish-location, thus it can be
evaluated 'live'.

some suggestions:
* reduce header height (and image size)
* "A programmers best friend" sounds inprofessional
=> launch a community
* round the top left corners of the left boxes
* remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box
* remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
* decouple product from project
http://lazaridis.com/core/project/product.html

Jason Foreman

=20
How do you know that?
=20
I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
anyone would really know that.
=20
And I really hope to steer clear of any sort of "official" Ruby logo.
=20
James
=20
=20

Yea, I am not a fan of that logo either. I personally like Michel
Martens' version that looks like a red square with a thick red border
and the top-right corner is hacked off to give a sort of silhouette of
a ruby. Not that John's isn't a lovely image however.

John's image would also be a difficult one to reproduce nicely on
anything other than a computer screen, or at smaller sizes. It's got
that distinct Photoshop'd look to it.

But great work by all on the redesign!

Jason

Mark Hubbart

=20
The design looks much better than the existing one, and should replace
it ther earliest possible.
=20
you should post a link to demo-publish-location, thus it can be
evaluated 'live'.

I wholeheartedly agree to that. I can't wait till this rolls out. It's
like watching my neighbors landscape.
some suggestions:
* reduce header height (and image size)
* "A programmers best friend" sounds inprofessional

I like it. One of the major tenets of Ruby is that it "makes coding
fun". I think it's a good idea to give that impression on the main
page of the main site. A little unprofessional, perhaps, but so are
recursive acronyms like PHP. I remember trying to explain that to my
boss once... He was not impressed :)
=3D> launch a community
* round the top left corners of the left boxes
* remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box
* remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
* decouple product from project
http://lazaridis.com/core/project/product.html

It looks to me like the current design is entirely about the product.
I don't see a single link inviting people to work on the actual ruby
project. It all seems to be resources for working with the actual Ruby
product. Download it, read about it, get help with it, see what others
have written about it...

I don't think that any project resources should actually be available
on this page. We don't want people to work on Ruby unless they're
familiar enough with it to find out for themselves how to participate
in the project. Even that is small barrier to entry; read ruby-talk
for a couple weeks and you'll probably know how to go about
contributing to the project.

cheers,
Mark

gabriele renzi

James Britt ha scritto:
How do you know that?

I don't I just noticed this was the one that was chosen for the second
round of the redesign.
I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
anyone would really know that.

And I really hope to steer clear of any sort of "official" Ruby logo.

I don't ever thought of an "official" logo.
Notice I did not even said "logo" but "icon" on purpose since I liked
the more logoish things in other designs :)
There is obviously room for different images on the same theme (I think
a common *theme* is cool, but obviously people will always remain free
to use whatevere image they like)

Ilias Lazaridis

Mark said:
I wholeheartedly agree to that. I can't wait till this rolls out. It's
like watching my neighbors landscape.
ok

I like it. One of the major tenets of Ruby is that it "makes coding
fun". I think it's a good idea to give that impression on the main
page of the main site.
[...]

"Coding Efficiency / Productivity" must be pointed out, in a
straightforward, CTO / CEO capable tenor.

something like "Ruby - Get Productivity Back"

correction: "launch a community discussion on this"
* round the top left corners of the left boxes
* remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box
* remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
* decouple product from project
http://lazaridis.com/core/project/product.html

It looks to me like the current design is entirely about the product. [...]

I don't think that any project resources should actually be available
on this page.
[...]

A link "Project" belongs to the main page.
cheers,
Mark

..

Jim Weirich

James Britt said:
I find the literal gem image boring and impractical (in contrast to Ruby
itself), and I may in fact be in the minority, but I don't know how I or
anyone would really know that.

The icon is striking and eyecatching, I tend to like it (at least how its
used on the page).

My only comment is that I have never seen a picture of an actual ruby gem
in that particular shape. I've seen ovals, circles and pear shapes
(amoung others), but nothing in that red diamond shape.

It probably doesn't matter, I doubt anybody really cares, but it does
bother me a bit.

BTW, I'm no expert on gems. I'm just going on what I've seen by googling
the topic. I would be thrilled if someone pointed out that Rubies do
actually occur in that shape.

Bill Guindon

=20
James Britt said:
=20
The icon is striking and eyecatching, I tend to like it (at least how its
used on the page).
=20
My only comment is that I have never seen a picture of an actual ruby gem
in that particular shape. I've seen ovals, circles and pear shapes
(amoung others), but nothing in that red diamond shape.
=20
It probably doesn't matter, I doubt anybody really cares, but it does
bother me a bit.
=20
BTW, I'm no expert on gems. I'm just going on what I've seen by googling
the topic. I would be thrilled if someone pointed out that Rubies do
actually occur in that shape.

googled "ruby diamond cut". that first link looks like the "Lucky
Charms" page :)

http://www.sndgems.com/rubyeducation.htm
http://www.raru.com/images/gemstones/93rubyhtrtsa.jpg
http://64.70.201.108/ruby-bands-new-10.jpg

--
-- Jim Weirich (e-mail address removed) http://onestepback.org
=20

--=20
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

Jeff Barczewski

I like this redesign alot. Very beautiful... like Ruby!=20

Dave Thomas gave a wonderful keynote "The Art of Programming" at the
NFJS conference in St. Louis which was very inspiring.

I think this design being very beautiful complements Ruby as well in
that the whole package should be considered art. Not only the coding
but the documentation and websites should reflect the professional
"step above" status of Ruby.

I think your redesign fits well with all of this.

Jeff

Nikolai Weibull

Mark Hubbart, May 11:
One of the major tenets of Ruby is that it "makes coding fun".

Then how about making the comment read “Ruby: Makes Programming Fun!�,
nikolai

James Britt

gabriele said:
James Britt ha scritto:

I don't I just noticed this was the one that was chosen for the second
round of the redesign.

Sorry, then, I perhaps misunderstood who you thought was in agreement.

Basically, I think it's the half-dozen or so folks quietly working on
that site.
I don't ever thought of an "official" logo.

True. That was my spin.
Notice I did not even said "logo" but "icon" on purpose since I liked
the more logoish things in other designs :)

Same here.
There is obviously room for different images on the same theme (I think
a common *theme* is cool, but obviously people will always remain free
to use whatevere image they like)

I count on that.

James

Michel Martens

=20
Sorry, then, I perhaps misunderstood who you thought was in agreement.
=20
Basically, I think it's the half-dozen or so folks quietly working on
that site.

Hi James,

We kind of made our work based on our ideas and the feedback we've got
on the first round, but that doesn't mean that we will impose that
logo or that we all think it's perfect. In fact, I'm glad a lot of
people is participating right now and I liked to read your opinion, as
it all adds for a better outcome.

Michel.

Florian Groß

gabriele said:
Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be
great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like
"Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the
lines of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

This one has graphical problems and I know of them, but perhaps somebody
from the VI-Team would be able to take the idea and rework it
consistently into the style of the current gem graphic. I'm not sure
what the exacts requirements for being considered a "Ruby Hacker" would
be (do we need them at all?) but chris2 seems to have suggested that
being in the change log or not might be one. Here's the graphic:

http://flgr.0x42.net/ruby-hacker.png

Ilias Lazaridis

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
[...]
some suggestions:
* reduce header height (and image size)
* "A programmers best friend" sounds inprofessional
=> launch a community

correction: "launch a community discussion on this"
* round the top left corners of the left boxes
* remove the buttom-left rounded corner of the code-box

correction: buttom-right
* remove _any_ insider terminology on the main page
* decouple product from project
http://lazaridis.com/core/project/product.html

..

David A. Black

--927295978-726135792-1115759009=:31590

--927295978-726135792-1115759009=:31590

Hi --

gabriele said:
Now that there is (mostly) agreement on a ruby icon, I think it would be= =20
great to come up with some nice images to put on our own websites/blog.
I'm not just thinking of "ruby powered" images but also something like= =20
"Ruby Developer", "I Love Ruby", "Ruby Contributor" and such on the line= s=20
of the mono gif[1]. What do people think of this?

This one has graphical problems and I know of them, but perhaps somebody = from=20
the VI-Team would be able to take the idea and rework it consistently int= o=20
the style of the current gem graphic. I'm not sure what the exacts=20
requirements for being considered a "Ruby Hacker" would be (do we need th= em=20
at all?) but chris2 seems to have suggested that being in the change log = or=20
not might be one.

There's no requirement for being considered a Ruby hacker other than
that you be a Ruby hacker and want to call yourself that. (I usually
go with "Rubyist".) Or that you are not one but want people to think
you are :)

David

--=20
David A. Black
(e-mail address removed)
--927295978-726135792-1115759009=:31590--
--927295978-726135792-1115759009=:31590--

Ilias Lazaridis

Nikolai said:
Mark Hubbart, May 11:

Then how about making the comment read “Ruby: Makes Programming Fun!�,
nikolai

Simply open an new thread, [SLOGAN] ..., and ask the community to post a
slogan.

Then collect the results on a wiki-page, thus anyone can review for some
time.

..

Paul Duncan

--C+ts3FVlLX8+P6JN

* why the lucky stiff ([email protected]) said:
I'm happy to say that our little redesign team has come to accord on a
design and it is now presented on the redesign blog:
=20
http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/
=20
We hope you will comment on the blog itself rather than here on
Ruby-Talk, in order that our team doesn't loose what you say in an
impending ocean.
=20
With a paraffin banjo on my knee,

I've responded on the blog as well, but I thought I'd say (again) that
these designs look fantastic, and I'd like to see them put in place as
soon as possible.

I think the current page looks embarassingly bad.

--=20
Paul Duncan <[email protected]> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

--C+ts3FVlLX8+P6JN

--C+ts3FVlLX8+P6JN--