From: James Britt <[email protected]>
Subject: [ANN] Ruby 1.8.2 Preview 3 is available
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:46:35 +0900
ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.2-preview3.tar.gz

Ruby/Tk on 1.8.2-preview3 has many changes from 1.8.1 (keeps backward
compatibility), is fixed some cases of SEGV from 1.8.2-preview2,
and supports the following Tcl/Tk extensions.

* Tcllib http://sf.net/projects/tcllib
* IWidgets http://sf.net/projects/incrTcl
* BWidgets http://sf.net/projects/tcllib
* TkTable http://sf.net/projects/tktable
* vu http://tktable.sourceforge.net
* TkHTML http://www.hwaci.com/sw/tkhtml/index.html
* ICONS http://www.satisoft.com/tcltk/icons/
* IncrTcl http://sf.net/projects/incrTcl
* TclX http://sf.net/projects/tclx
* TkImg http://sf.net/projects/tkimg
* TkTreeCtrl http://tktreectrl.sourceforge.net/
* Tile http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile/
* winico http://tktable.sourceforge.net
* TkTrans http://www2.cmp.uea.ac.uk/~fuzz/tktrans/default.html
* TkDND http://sourceforge.net/projects/tkdnd

Some of them have sample scripts, and another some of them are
alpha quality. ;-)
If you use ActiveTcl (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/)
package and compile Ruby's tcltklib with it, you will be able to try
many of them.
I want better quality for them on 1.8.2 release.
Bug reports are welcome.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Hidetoshi,

HN> Some of them have sample scripts, and another some of them are
HN> alpha quality. ;-)
HN> If you use ActiveTcl
HN> (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActiveTcl/)
HN> package and compile Ruby's tcltklib with it, you will be able to try
HN> many of them.
HN> I want better quality for them on 1.8.2 release.
HN> Bug reports are welcome.

Can you tell me how stable tile is ?

And is there any tutorial about using TclTK with ruby. The source code
has too many nasty tricks to be a good introduction.

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: Lothar Scholz <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [ANN] Ruby 1.8.2 Preview 3 is available
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 01:21:15 +0900

Do you talk about the 'Tile' extension?
If so, it may be alpha quality.
Although I implemented (possibly all) widgets and functions of
Tile extension, I have no time for enough test of them.
It is too hard for only one person to check and fix such many
libraries for Tk extensions. ;-)
I need bug reports of the libraries.
And is there any tutorial about using TclTK with ruby.

I'm sorry but I don't have links to tutorials.

How about 'WidgetDemo' included in Ruby sources?
When the demo is running, you can see the codes of the script,
edit the code on the text widget, and try the edited code.
The source code has too many nasty tricks to be a good introduction.

Sorry, again.
However, libraries must seal in complex parts because of convenience
for users. Some of such complex parts appear frequently in a little
different form. Some tricks can decrease amount of code writing and
help to release new libraries in a short time.