http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/session/

NAME: |

Session
::Sh
::Bash
::Shell
::IDL

SYNOPSIS: |

Session::* offers a set of class for driving external progams via pipes. It
offers a significant abstraction over Open3::popen since stdout/stderr can
be processed individually for each command. Additionally the exit_status of
each command is made available. eg.

bash = Session::Bash.new
stdout, stderr = bash.execute 'ls'

or

bash = Session::Bash.new
stdout, stderr = StringIO.new, StringIO.new

bash.execute 'ls', :stdout => stdout, :stderr => stderr
exit_status = bash.exit_status

or

bash = Session::Bash.new
#
# output is passed to the block as it is produced
#
bash.execute( 'long_running_command.exe' ) do |out, err|
logger << out if out
elogger << err if err
end

Sessions are Thread safe (in the sense that they do not block on io
operations) allowing command spawn from guis to update widgets with output
while running in the background.

button.configure 'action' => lambda do
sh = Session::new
sh.execute(cmd) do |o,e|
out_widget.update o if o
err_widget.update e if e
end
end

SAMPLES: |

see samples/*

AUTHOR: |

(e-mail address removed)

HISTORY: |

2.1.8:
- greatly simplified read loop using two reader threads, one for stderr and
one for stdout alongside a mutex to protect data. this streamlined the code
alot vs. the old select method including allowing removal of the linbuffer
class. the interface remains exactly as before however.
2.1.7:
- improved thread safe non-blocking read method
- gemspec
2.1.6:
- wrapped send_command in a Thread (send async) so output processing can
commend immeadiately. this was o.k. before, but had strange behaviour when
using popen3 from threads. thanks to tanaka akira for this suggestion.
- iff ENV['SESSION_USE_SPAWN'] is set Session uses Spawn::spawn instead of
Open3::popen3. also noted that spawn seems to be a bit faster.
- added tests for threads.
- run 'sh SESSION_USE_SPAWN=1 ruby test/session.rb' to test using spawn
- added test for idl so it's test is not run if system doesn't have it, all
that should be required for 'ruby test/session.rb' is should be sh'
- removed sample/tcsh and note about Tcsh and Csh in README - stderr
redirection/separation is flaky in those shells
2.1.5:
- added Session.use_spawn=, AbstractSession.use_spawn=, and an :use_session=>
option to AbstractSession#initialize. if any of them are set the code uses
Spawn::spawn to create external processes instead of Open3::popen3.
Spawn::spawn uses named pipes (fifos) for IPC instead of forking and pipes.
the fork used in popen3 can cause strange behaviour with multi-threaded apps
(like a tk app). see source for details
2.1.4:
- added Thread.exclusive{} wrapper when io is read to works in multi
threaded apps

enjoy.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| --Dogen

leon breedt

Session::* offers a set of class for driving external progams via pipes. It
offers a significant abstraction over Open3::popen since stdout/stderr can
be processed individually for each command. Additionally the exit_status of
each command is made available. eg.
This looks like it works really well, thanks :)

A small bug: Setting .track_history after creation (it has a write
accessor) causes #execute() to fail as @history is only assigned in
the constructor.

Leon

Ara.T.Howard

HISTORY:

2.1.9:
- fixed bug where setting track history after creation caused later failure in
execute (@history =[] only in ctor). thanks leon breedt
<[email protected]>!
- updates to README
- included session-x.x.x.rpa file - thanks batsman <[email protected]>
- to_str/to_s/to_yaml for History/Command is now valid yaml (updated samples
to reflect this)
- inspect for History/Command is now ruby's default

[...]

URLS: |

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/session/
http://www.codeforpeople.com/lib/ruby/session/

NAME: |

Session
::Sh
::Bash
::Shell
::IDL

SYNOPSIS: |

Session::* offers a set of classes built upon Open3::popen3 for driving
external progams via pipes. It offers a significant abstraction over
Open3::popen in that the stdout/stderr of each command sent can be deliniated:

open3:

i.o,e = Open3::popen3 '/bin/sh'

i.puts 'ls'
i.puts 'echo 42'

now, how to determine the boundry between the output from 'ls' and 'echo'?
the only (simple) way is start a process for each command

i.o,e = Open3::popen3 '/bin/sh'
i.puts 'ls'
i.close
stdout, stderr = o.read, e.read

i.o,e = Open3::popen3 '/bin/sh'
i.puts 'echo 42'
i.close
stdout, stderr = o.read, e.read

session:

sh = Session::new

stdout, stderr = sh.execute 'ls'
stdout, stderr = sh.execute 'echo 42'

Both stderr and stdout can be redirected, and the exit_status of each command
is made available:

bash = Session::Bash.new
stdout, stderr = StringIO::new, StringIO::new

bash.execute 'ls', :stdout => stdout, :stderr => stderr
# bash.execute 'ls', 1 => stdout, 2 => stderr # same thing
# bash.execute 'ls', :eek: => stdout, :e => stderr # same thing

exit_status = bash.exit_status

A block form can be used to specify a callback to be invoked whenever output
has become availible:

bash = Session::Bash.new

bash.execute( 'long_running_command.exe' ) do |out, err|
logger << out if out
elogger << err if err
end

Sessions are Thread safe (in the sense that they do not block on io
operations) allowing commands spawned from guis to update widgets with output
while running in the background.

button.configure 'action' => lambda do
sh = Session::new
sh.execute(cmd) do |o,e|
out_widget.update o if o
err_widget.update e if e
end
end

SAMPLES: |

see samples/*

AUTHOR: |

(e-mail address removed)
-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| --Dogen

Mauricio Fernández

HISTORY:

2.1.9:
- fixed bug where setting track history after creation caused later
failure in
execute (@history =[] only in ctor). thanks leon breedt
<[email protected]>!
- updates to README
- included session-x.x.x.rpa file - thanks batsman
<[email protected]>
- to_str/to_s/to_yaml for History/Command is now valid yaml (updated
samples
to reflect this)
- inspect for History/Command is now ruby's default

batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports$ rpa update
Getting port info from http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/ports/ports.info.
100% [========================================] 84281 bytes

Ports updated since the last 'rpa update'
session 2.1.8-2 -> 2.1.9-1

batsman@tux-chan:~/src/rpa/ports/session-2.1.8$ rpa install session
Installing ports
Getting port session from http://rpa-base.rubyforge.org/ports/session_2.1.9-1.rps.
100% [========================================] 12288 bytes
Building session (2.1.9-1).
Generating RI data files.
Generating RDoc HTML documentation.
Calculating MD5 digests.
Building package in session_2.1.9-1_i686-pc-linux-gnu.rpa.
Installing session
Reusing cached package /home/batsman/usr/lib/ruby/rpa0.0/packages/session_2.1.9-1_i686-pc-linux-gnu.rpa.
Starting lightweight (metadata only) transaction for session
Checking for file conflicts in session.
Starting transaction for session
Preparing to replace session 2.1.8-2 with /home/batsman/usr/lib/ruby/rpa0.0/packages/session_2.1.9-1_i686-pc-linux-gnu.rpa
Package /home/batsman/usr/lib/ruby/rpa0.0/packages/session_2.1.9-1_i686-pc-linux-gnu.rpa unpacked.
Finished transaction for session
Starting lightweight (metadata only) transaction for session
Finished lightweight (metadata only) transaction for session
Finished lightweight (metadata only) transaction for session
Committed changes