another NullPointerException problem with List interface

Alan

Line 87 ("boolean addedOK = filelist.add(file);"), which is the add
method of the List interface, causes a NullPointerException, but I
cannot figure out why.

The API says that add(element) can have this exception "if the
specified element is null and this list does not support null
elements". However, the element (a File variable) is not null (it
prints out the filename).

Can anyone tell me why I get this error? Thanks, Alan

Output:

----jGRASP exec: java jat.util.file.AllFiles

java.lang.NullPointerException
at jat.util.file.AllFiles.listAllFiles(AllFiles.java:87)
at jat.util.file.AllFiles.main(AllFiles.java:22)
file being added: URLget.java

----jGRASP: operation complete.

Code:

1 package jat.util.file;
2
3 import java.io.*;
4 import java.io.FilenameFilter;
5 import java.util.*;
6
7 public class AllFiles
8 {
9 /** The main method is used for testing other methods
10 of the AllFiles class.
11 */
12 public static void main(String[] args)
13 {
14 File directory = new File(System.getProperty("user.dir"));
15 if (args.length > 0)
16 {
17 File tempFile = new File(args[0]);
18 if (tempFile.isDirectory()) { directory = tempFile; }
19 }
20 try
21 {
22 List<File> filelist = listAllFiles(directory, "java");
23 for (Iterator it = filelist.iterator(); it.hasNext();)
24 {
25 File file = (File) it.next();
26 // System.out.println(file.getName());
27 }
28 }
29 catch (Exception e)
30 {
31 // System.err.println("Error in call to method
listAllFiles");
32 }
33 }
34
35 /** The listAllFiles method provides a list of all files
36 found in the user-specified directory and its
37 subdirectories.
38
39 @param dir the directory at which the file
list
40 should start
41 @param extension a string indicating the file
extension
42 that should be used to filter the
results
43 @return File[] a list of File objects
44 */
45 public static List<File> listAllFiles(File dir, String
extension) throws Exception
46 {
47 try
48 {
49 if (!dir.isDirectory())
50 {
51 return null; // Not a directory
52 }
53 else // input file reference is a directory
54 {
55 // Initialize lists of files and directories
56 List<File> FileAndDirList = null; // will contain
both
57 List<File> filelist = null; // will contain
files only
58
59 // Get list of files in the input directory
60 FilenameFilter select = new FileListFilter(null,
extension, true);
61 File[] filearray = dir.listFiles(select);
62
63 // for (int i = 0; i < filearray.length; i++)
64 // { System.out.println(filearray); }
65
66 // If file array is not empty, convert it to a list
67 if (filearray.length > 0)
68 {
69 FileAndDirList = Arrays.asList(filearray);
70 }
71
72 // If there are files and/or directories, check
73 // to see if they are directories or other files
74 if (FileAndDirList != null)
75 {
76 for (Iterator<File> it =
FileAndDirList.iterator();
77 it.hasNext();)
78 {
79 File file = it.next();
80 // If this file is not a directory, add it to
81 // the list of normal files
82 if (!file.isDirectory())
83 {
84 System.out.println("file being added: "
85 + file.getName());
86
87 boolean addedOK = filelist.add(file);
88 System.out.println("addedOK = " + addedOK);
89 }
90 else { System.out.println("Directory: "
91 + file.getName());
92 }
93 }
94 System.out.println("\n filelist: \n" + filelist);
95 }
96
97 return null; // crap crap crap crap crap
98 }
99 }
100 catch ( SecurityException e )
101 {
102 e.printStackTrace();
103 return null;
104 }
105 catch ( RuntimeException e )
106 {
107 e.printStackTrace();
108 return null;
109 }
110 }
111 }
112
113 /** The FileListFilter class implements the
java.io.FilenameFilter
114 interface.
115 */
116 class FileListFilter implements FilenameFilter
117 {
118 private String name, extension;
119 private boolean includeDirectories;
120
121 public FileListFilter(String name, String extension,
122 boolean includeDirectories)
123 {
124 this.name = name;
125 this.extension = extension;
126 this.includeDirectories = includeDirectories;
127 }
128
129 /** The accept method determines whether or not a File
130 meets the filename filter criteria.
131
132 @param name a String indicating the filter
for
133 the filename; null means no
filter
134 @param filename a String that contains the
filename
135 of the file; null means no filter
136 @param includeDirectories a boolean value that
137 indicates whether or not
138 subdirectories should be
included
139 in the results
140 @return boolean indicates whether or not the file
141 meets the filtering criteria
142 */
143 public boolean accept(File directory, String filename)
144 {
145 boolean fileOK = true;
146
147 if (name != null)
148 { fileOK &= filename.startsWith(name); }
149
150 if (extension != null)
151 {
152 if (fileOK)
153 {
154 fileOK &= filename.endsWith('.' + extension);
155 if (!fileOK && includeDirectories)
156 {
157 fileOK = (filename.indexOf('.') == -1);
158 }
159 }
160 }
161
162 return fileOK;
163 }
164 }
165
166
167

Owen Jacobson

Line 87 ("boolean addedOK = filelist.add(file);"), which is the add
method of the List interface, causes a NullPointerException, but I
cannot figure out why.

     The API says that add(element) can have this exception "if the
specified element is null and this list does not support null
elements".  However, the element (a File variable) is not null (it
prints out the filename).

     Can anyone tell me why I get this error?       Thanks, Alan
 57             List<File> filelist = null;         // will contain

 87                      boolean addedOK = filelist.add(file);

In Java there is a difference between an empty list (a List object
with no elements) and no list at all (no List object). The former is
a List and can be added to; the latter is not and will cause exactly
the error you encountered.

You probably want
List<File> filelist = new ArrayList<File> ();
or some other concrete list type, on like 57, to create a new (empty)
list; what you've written is that filelist points to no list at all.

HTH,
-o

Alan

Owen,
Thank you. I am new to Java, and I had a misconception about
List.

Sometimes I think I confuse the abstract class List with the List
Interface, too.

Alan

Lew

Alan said:
Owen,
Thank you. I am new to Java, and I had a misconception about
List.

Sometimes I think I confuse the abstract class List with the List
Interface, too.

Hard to do, since in the java.util package there is no abstract class "List".
In fact, the only class "List" in the standard API is java.awt.List, which
is hard to imagine confusing with java.util.List, which it doesn't even
implement, and besides which java.awt.List is not abstract.