another ranking of programming languages

Juha Nieminen

Lynn McGuire said:
C++ is near the top, surprising. I would have thought it to be
near the middle at best. I thought the rage was all the new
interpreted languages.

I think that it's simply that the people who most strongly oppose and
hate C++ are also the ones who are most vocal about it, so you get the
impression that everybody hates it.

Jorgen Grahn

Another ranking of programming languages via www.stackoverflow.com
questions and www.github.com projects:
http://www.dataists.com/2010/12/ranking-the-popularity-of-programming-langauges/

C++ is near the top, surprising. I would have thought it to be
near the middle at best. I thought the rage was all the new
interpreted languages.

Look at the x axis -- the ranking goes roughly (they don't show their
numbers):

javascript
ruby
python
perl
php
shell
java
c++
c#

Which feels roughly right for a Unix-centric thing like Github (except
for javascipt).

I object to them calling StackOverflow "the community". There are many
communities and I'm sure e.g. Usenet has a drastically different
distribution.

/Jorgen

Öö Tiib

I object to them calling StackOverflow "the community". There are many
communities and I'm sure e.g. Usenet has a drastically different
distribution.

You are correct that there are plenty of communities, but
StackOverflow community is one of most novice-friendly. Majority of C+
+ things asked/discussed there are beginner level questions. Amount of
interested beginners might be quite good indication of popularity i
think.

Jorgen Grahn

You are correct that there are plenty of communities, but
StackOverflow community is one of most novice-friendly. Majority of C++
things asked/discussed there are beginner level questions. Amount of
interested beginners might be quite good indication of popularity i
think.

I disagree. The number of beginners is at best a measure of /future/
popularity, if we define "popularity" as "number of man-hours per day
spent doing work in the language".

(And there's also the question whether StackOverflow is representative
even among novices, or if it's a Windows/Unix/Web site, a US/Europe/
India/China site, etc ... The article could have discussed that, but
it seemed to me that he author was more interested in showing off the
diagram.)

/Jorgen