any examples of great well-written web apps?

Python Baby

learning Python, planning on making an interactive website.

To me, "interactive website" = "web app" = websites such as
NetFlix, Amazon, Orbitz, Hotmail, MyYahoo, etc. Something
stateful that does a lot behind the scenes, but uses the
web browser as an interface.

Has anyone seen any great examples of very well-written web
apps like this, in Python, that I could study the source?
(Preferably not as huge as the examples I named above.
I was just picking popular examples.)

The reason I'm asking the list instead of just browsing
Freshmeat or Sourceforge is that since I'm new to Python,
I won't know the difference (at first) between well-written
Python and clunky Python. Looking for a website-service
that is a good example of a good use of Python.

(Getting used to "thinking in Python").

Thanks!

Valya Illieva

To whom it may concern:

Although I never used Python for web-applications, as a web-designer I know from experience that PHP makes a better server side scripting language than Python. Since PHP has a C++ style with powerful server-side instructions, it's capable of interfacing with Form Data and MySQL which make it a better choice for web-design. Visit PHP.Net for more information.

As far as web-applications are concerned, Java makes a better choice since it has been well grounded since its inception to be cross-platform. Python is a great OOP but since your average user doesn't know what that is, it makes a better local application than it does a web-application.

Kirk Strauser

Dave Benjamin

Did PHP ever get a standard database API as part of the core system, or do
people still use those horrid mysql_execute()-style functions?

Not that I'm particularly interested in having a Python vs PHP argument,
since I think they both have their place, but PHP has had PEAR::DB and
several other database abstraction layers for several years now. In fact,
PEAR::DB is part of the standard PHP distribution.

Lothar Scholz

Valya Illieva said:
To whom it may concern:

You are write when looking from a web-designer point of view that PHP
is better then Python. But you have this opinion only because you have
not written larger applications, anything more then a simple
messageboard. If you do this you find that Python is much much better,
especially when used with webware as an application server.

The C++ style argument is a typical argument for someone who don't
understand the internals and instead critices the pure outfit.

So if Python Baby wants to write something complex python is the
choise number one. Only very large projects (> 30 person years) are
done better with J2EE.

But back to the request for large examples. I must say that the sad
story is that there is no larger open source web python application as
far as i know.
Maybe you find something in the Zope world and on the zope.org
webserver. The time i looked i didn't find anything else then plone.