Any Ideas Where Can I Find C++ Apprenticeship?

Helios

Hi everyone,

As a way to start my C++ career I am looking to start as an
apprentice, working under the supervision of a senior C++ developer.
Where can I find a senior developer to work online as a volunteer on a
project so as to build experience?

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I have worked as a non-C Plus
Plus programmer for 4 years and have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical
Engineering. Recently, I read Exceptional C++ (Sutter), Modern C++
Design (Alexandrescu) and C++ For Game Programmers (Llopis).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Victor Bazarov

Helios said:
As a way to start my C++ career I am looking to start as an
apprentice, working under the supervision of a senior C++ developer.
Where can I find a senior developer to work online as a volunteer on a
project so as to build experience?

To give you an idea of where I'm at, I have worked as a non-C Plus
Plus programmer for 4 years and have a Bachelor's degree in Electrical
Engineering. Recently, I read Exceptional C++ (Sutter), Modern C++
Design (Alexandrescu) and C++ For Game Programmers (Llopis).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try getting an entry-level job in a C++ shop with more than one
experienced developer (more than ten is even better) on staff. Do
what they do, work with them, earn money as you learn the language.

Victor Bazarov

Helios said:
But do you know of any online such C++ shops?

No, and I don't think they exist. But I've never looked for one,
to be honest.

Apprenticeship assumes the master (teacher) is just doing what
he usually does, not really spending tons of time paying
attention to the apprentice. Advice is dispenced sporadically
and it's the apprentice's responsibility to pay attention to the
master. Good if the master gives the apprentice to sharpen the
tools once in a while, or to carry out the trash, or to sweep
the floor... You know, "wax on, wax off" sorta thing. That's
why I said that a normal work environment is the best. There
are no online work environments that would be that by definition,
since most of the stuff you can find (you already know about
sourceforge.net) is free and while some folks do claim it to be
their lifeblood, making a living that way is rather difficult.

I was going to suggest hanging out here, but it's not really
an apprenticeship since we don't have dedicated teachers in the
newsgroup. Folks answer questions, and you're welcome to try
your skill in that too. Don't expect overnight success, though.

Being in a real production team has the advantage that anyone
who is made your teacher/mentor carries the *responsibility* of
watching you, interacting with you, and it's *enforced* because
it's in the job description. Anything you can find online is
superficial, artificial, and not enforceable. Hence you can't
really expect good results (in general, I am sure there are
exceptions that I just don't know about).

Good luck!

SasQ

As a way to start my C++ career I am looking to start
as an apprentice, working under the supervision of a
senior C++ developer. Where can I find a senior
developer to work online as a volunteer on a project
so as to build experience?

Maybe join to some Open Source project?