Where can I find :

pythonnubie

Hi All :
Does anyone know where I can find either a book or a website that
explains beginning python by actually building a project line by
line and explaining it indepth . I am primarily interested in
understading flowcontrol as well as syntax .

If it was related to netwoprking then that would be a great
addition although not required because that is my primary field of
interest .

All help greatly appreciated !

Mark

Gabriel Genellina

Does anyone know where I can find either a book or a website that
explains beginning python by actually building a project line by
line and explaining it indepth . I am primarily interested in
understading flowcontrol as well as syntax .

See the section about Learing Python in the wiki:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide
If it was related to netwoprking then that would be a great
addition although not required because that is my primary field of
interest .

Many books on Python have some chapters on networking, and there are even
whole books like Python Web Programming by Steve Holden.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi All :
Does anyone know where I can find either a book or a website that
explains beginning python by actually building a project line by
line and explaining it indepth . I am primarily interested in
understading flowcontrol as well as syntax .
Flow control, if I'm not misinterpreting your usage, is something
that most common language books will not really cover -- that falls into
the realms of software engineering... Or, at the simplest, structured
design/programming (even if a language is OO, when one gets down to the
actual logic of methods, one is back into structured programming).

Syntax is covered in the Python language reference manual, and
Python has a very simple vocabulary to learn.

The two are disjoint concepts. Structured design applies to any
language, one just has to map the constructs of the language (and since
Python lacks a native GOTO, this becomes even simpler).

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

castironpi

        Flow control, if I'm not misinterpreting your usage, is something
that most common language books will not really cover -- that falls into
the realms of software engineering... Or, at the simplest, structured
design/programming (even if a language is OO, when one gets down to the
actual logic of methods, one is back into structured programming).

        Syntax is covered in the Python language reference manual, and
Python has a very simple vocabulary to learn.

        The two are disjoint concepts. Structured design applies to any
language, one just has to map the constructs of the language (and since
Python lacks a native GOTO, this becomes even simpler).

That's weird. I feel like I could go on about an introductory program
for days and days, la.

I usually start (both times) with interpreted vs. compiled. It's a
layer of abstraction. But it's very weird; the layers can't tell
either of each other apart. I can hand you the machine instructions,
the names of circuitry, that run Line 1 to Line 9 one time, but you
can't tell the difference between the code and the data.

Some of it lingers in post-perceptive operations: the memory system,
for the record. Some lingers long times. So far it equates to
different Pythons produce different Pythons, however, though, so I'll
ask the spell checker. Python.get_back_in_skin(). Weird.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference. The binary you run is
Python.exe. It's already running, then you feed it a raw string, not
on disk without loss of generality. The translation is a little hard
to find too.

Python :: mingw-c++ :
Python.exe :: mingw-c++.exe :
what? :: machine instructions.exe

In Python there's a for-loop that's the exact same as one in machine
instructions.

0101 b1= 1000
0110 if a < b0 goto b1
0111 b2= b2+ 1

accumulates a number in register b2. You probably want interface and
graphics primitives. Sometimes I feel like "with a scroll bar"
suffices to specify all the detail you need; there's too many
options. (I can do this and this and ... scroll bar, please.) You
know the episode of Star Trek NG where Barclay takes over the
Enterprise.

I'd also like to be able to write (write) a series of instructions and
have it loop, and debug in vivo, as though a BASIC program were
running and I could edit lines in its doing so, maybe time Windows
Media visualization codecs in time. You could tell story lines and
have it refine, post-inspiration.

You might be surprised how much repetition in instructions Lines 1
through 9 (of -code-) share, in both sides of the analogy. Anyone
work with a VAX?

Jorgen Grahn

Flow control, if I'm not misinterpreting your usage, is something
that most common language books will not really cover -- that falls into
the realms of software engineering...

He *might* simply be talking about if, for, while, break and so on --
things which control program flow.

/Jorgen

Jorgen Grahn

Which /is/ what I was referring to... with regards to structuring
the usage of said in a safe&sane manner <G>

Oh, sorry. I see that now. I was thinking of flow control as in
communication protocols, preventing a fast sender from flooding a
receiver and so on.

/Jorgen

Laurent Pointal

Le Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:15:59 -0700, pythonnubie a écrit :
Hi All :
Does anyone know where I can find either a book or a website that
explains beginning python by actually building a project line by
line and explaining it indepth . I am primarily interested in
understading flowcontrol as well as syntax .

If it was related to netwoprking then that would be a great addition
although not required because that is my primary field of interest .

All help greatly appreciated !

Mark

You may look at "Dive into Python", there is an online version,
translation in some languages other than english (if needed). It propose
a line by line explanation on many scripts targetting language and
libraries usage.

http://www.diveintopython.org/

lbonafide

You may look at "Dive into Python", there is an online version,
translation in some languages other than english (if needed). It propose
a line by line explanation on many scripts targetting language and
libraries usage.

http://www.diveintopython.org/

I second that recommendation and was about to post the link myself.

lbonafide

[...]

What?