Any java memory profilers other than JProfiler and JMP?

xarax

JMP (freeware) won't even start. It just crashes on my
WindowsXP.

JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
crashes the JVM. I only have a few days left on my
trial evaluation key. I'm not paying for a buggy
product.

I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.

I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
and outgoing references for my selected instances
so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

TIA

Steve W. Jackson

Chris Smith said:
:xarax wrote:
:> JMP (freeware) won't even start. It just crashes on my
:> WindowsXP.
:>
:> JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
:> too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
:> crashes the JVM. I only have a few days left on my
:> trial evaluation key. I'm not paying for a buggy
:> product.
:>
:> I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.
:>
:> I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
:> and outgoing references for my selected instances
:> so I can figure out where my memory leak is.
:
:I've used OptimizeIt with great success for a similar task.

And the newest version includes an "automatic" memory leak detector,
though I confess that I don't understand how to use it. BTW, OptimizeIt
is now a Borland product.

= Steve =

Jared MacDonald

JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
crashes the JVM. I only have a few days left on my
trial evaluation key. I'm not paying for a buggy
product.

I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.

I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
and outgoing references for my selected instances
so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

I found JProfiler stable and easy to use, doing exactly what I wanted
it to do: Find a memory leak in a Weblogic application in one case,
and show CPU bottlenecks in a Swing application in another.

I am using Windows 2000 and it hasn't crashed on me. I don't know if
XP is the culprit, but I'd say give it another shot. I found the
memory leak immediately simply by watching instance counts creep up
and never fall back down, even after GC.

Jared

Chris Smith

xarax said:
OptimizeIt doesn't work for my jar file. JProfiler works,
but crashes the JVM when I try to take a snapshot of memory.

Is there anything else that actually works?

What do you mean by "doesn't work"?

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

xarax

I found JProfiler stable and easy to use, doing exactly what I wanted
it to do: Find a memory leak in a Weblogic application in one case,
and show CPU bottlenecks in a Swing application in another.

I am using Windows 2000 and it hasn't crashed on me. I don't know if
XP is the culprit, but I'd say give it another shot. I found the
memory leak immediately simply by watching instance counts creep up
and never fall back down, even after GC.

Jared

I was able to guess correctly at a memory leak by watching
the JProfiler instance display (sorting by the size column).
(It really wasn't a memory leak, just a zillion allocations
of a class that I really didn't need. So, I took out the
class, recompiled, and the memory usage dropped way down.)

It's when I ask JProfiler to take a snapshot so I can do
the Heap Walker thing, that's when my JVM crashes (not
JProfiler -- it just says "the JVM exited").

Thanks anyway....

Robert Olofsson

xarax ([email protected]) wrote:
: JMP (freeware) won't even start. It just crashes on my
: WindowsXP.

Hmm, I havent seen any bug reports from you, so you do not exist,
right? ;-)
Does it crash even if you run without method and monitor profiling?
since it is memory you want to debug you should turn them off.

: JProfiler starts and shows instance counts. If I select
: too high a granularity or try to take a snapshot, it
: crashes the JVM.

Hmmm, odd. Have you sent a bug report to them?

: I am using the JDK 1.4.2 from Sun.

that should work ok and have most of the jvmpi bugs fixed.

: I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
: and outgoing references for my selected instances
: so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

optimizeIT may work

/robo - jmp developer

Robert Olofsson

xarax ([email protected]) wrote:
: I need a java memory profiler that can show incoming
: and outgoing references for my selected instances
: so I can figure out where my memory leak is.

Also, dont forget that the hprof profiler that is included in the SUN
jdk can output heap dump files that you can look in. This file is text
that is quite easy to read and understand. This should work if all
other options fail.
The heap dump file and a quick search will show you what references
you still have...

/robo