any wheel experts here?

Robin Becker

I'm trying to use --plat-name in

python33 setup.py bdist_wheel --plat-name=win-amd64

I have a patched distutils package on my path that does allow me to do cross
platform builds with normal distutils setup.py.

However, I noticed immediately that my allegedly amd64 build is saying things like

running bdist_wheel
running build
running build_py
copying src\reportlab\lib\hyphen.mashed -> build\lib.win32-3.3\reportlab\lib
running build_ext
installing to build\bdist.win32\wheel
running install
running install_lib
creating build\bdist.win32\wheel
creating build\bdist.win32\wheel\reportlab
creating build\bdist.win32\wheel\reportlab\fonts

and later on it crashes with

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 541, in <module>
main()
File "setup.py", line 530, in main
ext_modules = EXT_MODULES,
File "c:\ux\ExeBuilder\py33\distutils\core.py", line 148, in setup
dist.run_commands()
File "c:\ux\ExeBuilder\py33\distutils\dist.py", line 929, in run_commands
self.run_command(cmd)
File "c:\ux\ExeBuilder\py33\distutils\dist.py", line 948, in run_command
cmd_obj.run()
File "C:\code\hg-repos\py33\lib\site-packages\wheel\bdist_wheel.py", line
207, in run
archive_basename = self.get_archive_basename()
File "C:\code\hg-repos\py33\lib\site-packages\wheel\bdist_wheel.py", line
156, in get_archive_basename
impl_tag, abi_tag, plat_tag = self.get_tag()
File "C:\code\hg-repos\py33\lib\site-packages\wheel\bdist_wheel.py", line
150, in get_tag
assert tag == supported_tags[0]
AssertionError

so I guess that wheel doesn't support the idea of cross platform building on
windows. Can anyone more on the bleeding edge confirm this?

I can guess that somewhere in wheel the plat-name argument is not being passed
on to distutils bdist, but in addition something about the platform name is
causing the crash later on.