Anyone have the secret to Layout Position on web pages?

Rob R. Ainscough

I'm at a new level of frustration just trying to get my controls to line up
and stay in place.

I'm using a MultiView containing 4 views - some views have Panels. I can't
use absolution position on my controls because in MultiView that means when
the views are switched (ActiveViewIndex) the controls in the new view are
absolution position which means they are displayed lower down the page
(where they were arranged in the original view since MultiView sets the
child views downward in the page). So I have to use Relative position --
this in itself causes some bizarre changes in the position of my controls --
for example I could change the text of a Label control from "User" to
"UserID" and it will move other controls around.

As I understand it, I should be able to use Absolution position within a
panel that is set to "relative" position since this is the deemed parent
container, however, I get inconsistance results when I do this -- sometimes
the controls display correctly sometimes not -- bare in mind the only way I
know how to keep a label control's text to retain multiline position is when
using absolute position. Also keep in mind that I have to ensure that I
don't have an standard HTML in the Panel or View as this will also cause all
sorts of control position changes -- source view is the only way to confirm
I don't have.

Bottom line is -- there must be an easier way to place and align controls
when using MultView? If not, the restrictions of MultView use make the
control not practical for any serious development work.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

Guest

Bottom line is -- there must be an easier way to place and align
controls when using MultView? If not, the restrictions of MultView
use make the control not practical for any serious development work.

Use some tables to align your controls?

Are you familiar with HTML and CSS? You should be able to do just about any
layout you want with those two technologies : )

Rob R. Ainscough

So you're suggesting not to use VS 2005 IDE at all?

I wish I wasn't familiar with HTML and CSS, unfortunately I am - sure anyone
can hardcode the HTML, but if I want to use MultiView and View controls,
then that doesn't do me much good does it. Tables don't solve this problem
either and appear to be just as worky as I've tried those also.