Anyone using GPG or PGP encryption/signatures in your Python apps?

Discussion in 'Python' started by python, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. python

    python Guest

    Curious if any of you are using GPG or PGP encryption and/or signatures
    in your Python apps?

    In particular are you:

    1. clearsigning specific emails?
    2. validating clearsigned emails from others?
    3. encrypting/decrypting files?
    4. generating signatures for files that you are exchanging/posting for
    download?
    5. what public keyring services are you using?

    I'm also looking for recommendations on which 3rd party modules you're
    using for these tasks? In particular is there a particular module you
    prefer or have concerns about?

    Here's my short list of modules that *might* support encryption and
    signing in general:

    - m2crypto
    - pycrypto (standalone or with expycrypto or yawpycrypto wrappers)
    - tlslite
    - pyme
    - evpy
    - python-gnupg (by developer of Python's logging module)

    Any comments on using the subprocess module to wrap the gpg or openssl
    command line utilities? This seems to be a common technique for
    encryption and signing solutions and appears to the technique used by
    python-gnupg (for example).

    Thank you,
    Malcolm

    python, Jul 1, 2010

  2. python

    Steve Guest

    I used python-gnupg successfully to create some Django utilities for
    sending encrypted email.

    You can grab the source code at http://github.com/stephenmcd/django-email-extras

    Cheers,
    Steve

    Steve, Jul 2, 2010

  3. python

    Martin Manns Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:48:47 -0400
    I use pyme to create and check save file signatures.
    None
    pyme works great with Linux.
    However, I have never installed it on a Windows system.

    Martin

    Martin Manns, Jul 3, 2010